New Sound Drivers Coming In Linux 4.16 Kernel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by caligula View Post
    For some reason people were happy with CD audio quality (or even lower) for so long. The mp3 rips were often 22 kHz in late 1990s. 48 kHz sound cards became more common around 2000 with SB Live and Intel HD Audio. After that things have changed a lot. First 48, then 96, then 192. Now 384 kHz is standard in high end audio world. DAC bit counts have also steadily increased. From 8 to 16 to 24 to 32 bits. High end gear has 64 bits or more. Same thing with video cards. 8 bits per channel was good enough for quite long. 24b true color was standardized in 1994. Now for the first time normal consumers want 30b and latest standards even support up to 48 bits (HDMI, Displayport). It's really surprising how 30b wasn't enough. from 16,7 million colors to 64 x 16,7 million. Instead we need 262144 times more. Maybe up to 64 bits in the future.
    Ever heard of marketing?

I mean, why you think having RGB light controllers embedded in every fucking piece of "gaming" PC hardware is now commonplace? Having software-controlled multicolor leds all over the place isn't giving you any edge over an opponent in-game.

Same for mechanical keyboards and ultra-high-res laser mice.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

For some reason people were happy with CD audio quality (or even lower) for so long. The mp3 rips were often 22 kHz in late 1990s. 48 kHz sound cards became more common around 2000 with SB Live and Intel HD Audio. After that things have changed a lot. First 48, then 96, then 192. Now 384 kHz is standard in high end audio world. DAC bit counts have also steadily increased. From 8 to 16 to 24 to 32 bits. High end gear has 64 bits or more. Same thing with video cards. 8 bits per channel was good enough for quite long. 24b true color was standardized in 1994. Now for the first time normal consumers want 30b and latest standards even support up to 48 bits (HDMI, Displayport). It's really surprising how 30b wasn't enough. from 16,7 million colors to 64 x 16,7 million. Instead we need 262144 times more. Maybe up to 64 bits in the future.
      That is because if we do not count the multi channel vs only stereo thing, CD audio quality is perfectly fine. You can take any existing 384kHZ 64-bit piece of music, convert it to CD quality and no one will be able to point out which is the original vs the CD-version with a higher degree than pure random chance in a proper ABX test.

The so called High End gear that you can buy are often really shoddy pieces of equipment built by people who do not understand electronics and who truly believes that you can enhance the sound by placing shakti stones on top of the equipment, or special cable lifters (to lessen the gravitational force of the cable...).

You cannot compare this with video since we have not reached CD quality with video just yet (mainly because the bandwidth required for proper video is so insanely high).

Comment

Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post
        You cannot compare this with video since we have not reached CD quality with video just yet (mainly because the bandwidth required for proper video is so insanely high).
        That's debatable. I can see difference between 6-bit TN screens and 8-bit IPS, maybe even 8-bit IPS vs 10-bit OLED, but I really much doubt there's much goodness beyond that. I also can't tell if a mobile phone has 4k screen or 16k.

Comment

Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post

It's a press release and by definition fake news ;-). And if you really think that there exists a low cost chip that can truly create a analogue out signal with a 0.000000001 Volt difference then I have a bridge to sell you.
          I know this is not the point here.....but this the best "I have a bridge to sell you" reference, I have ever come across and this is why I am on Phoronix...for the forum. I mean the articles are amazing as well, but forum is the best part

Comment

Working...
          X