Nextcloud Rolls Out Audio/Video/Chat Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Maudit View Post
    Every year is the year in which "The PHP language is losing marketshare every year". Sometimes It happens in favor of asp, sometimes in favor of Java, sometimes in favor of python, sometimes in favor of Ruby, sometimes in favor of nodejs...
    in the meantime, in the real world:
    https://w3techs.com/technologies/ove...g_language/all

Yearly trend:
    https://w3techs.com/technologies/his..._language/ms/y
    Thank you for sharing that information. Do correct me if i am wrong, would you agree with me that this has mostly to do with CMS-systems? I mean Joomla, Drupal, Wordpress all PHP-based Content mangement systems. These days the average joe wants a website but knows very little about programming in general. CMS give a great opportunity included already made templates to manage their own website using average-joe knowledge (posting/editing articles etc)

Besides this only hosting costs are being paid as it runs on Linux (free). With the release of PHP7, PHP has stood it's ground looking at the benchmarks compared to PHP5.6.

That all being said, just like voting, a vote from a poor person has as equal value as the vote of a rich person (in theory). So 100 webserver with 100 average-joes and their PHP-CMS-based websites to couple of Microsoft servers using ASP.NET, well that is the difference of the 82% PHP to 14% of ASP.NET. Do correct me if i am wrong or have forgotten something.

Comment

Originally posted by johanb View Post

Sounds like it would be a good idea to try and get first class support for non-PHP nextcloud apps then. The PHP language is losing marketshare every year and the ecosystem with it does aswell, so if the success of high-quality nextcloud apps are dependent on the PHP ecosystem it's just a matter of time until you will be required to implement more and more things from scratch.

I have no experience with NextCloud however so I might be completely wrong about this, this is just my first reaction to that paragraph.
      I totally get that sentiment and we'd love to, but it is simply technically not possible... At least not so that every web server that can run Nextcloud will also be able to run those other applications. That just can't be done. So you will get a huge mess that complicates installations and often doesn't work - and we all learned from the rise and demise of XMPP that if you don't have consistency in the ecosystem, it fails.

Comment

Sounds like it would be a good idea to try and get first class support for non-PHP nextcloud apps then. The PHP language is losing marketshare every year and the ecosystem with it does aswell, so if the success of high-quality nextcloud apps are dependent on the PHP ecosystem it's just a matter of time until you will be required to implement more and more things from scratch.

I have no experience with NextCloud however so I might be completely wrong about this, this is just my first reaction to that paragraph.
        Johan, please give it a deeper thought then and explain in what those non-PHP apps would be coded in. I would be very interested hearing this.

Comment

Besides that PHP isn't going anywhere, we do and did indeed work at that. Technically, PHP has a number of big advantages (like perfect horizontal scaling and easier update/app installation management) but we developed some creative work-arounds that allow us now to ship some non-PHP code in apps, including Collabora Online (libreoffice! sir, yes, sir) and a C++ KDE library for detecting and parsing itinerary information in emails for easy calendar import.

With regards to Matrix support itself - we've now integrated Matterbridge so you can talk from a Nextcloud Talk room to a Matrix room. See https://nextcloud.com/blog/bridging-...vices-in-talk/ for more details.

Comment

Working...
          X