X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post
    ...they also require a lot of work but it is not acceptable that these companies continue to sell defective cpus, the problem is them and they must solve it, otherwise they will continue to sell shit, as Linus T. rightly said.
    They can't just stop selling until they have it fixed because it will mean not selling a damn (either new or old) for a year or more, and all current stock (supposed to be sold over 2-5 years or maybe more) would become a net loss, even Intel would simply implode if that happens, and any of their customers will also take a heavy blow.

Many industries are slow behemoths.

Leave a comment:

• oleyska
    replied
    Originally posted by bridgman View Post

??? More like driving a non-fiddled vehicle from another mfg but patching in the performance-impacting VW changes even though they are not needed.

Actually given the specifics of the emissions "fix" the analogy might be beyond saving
    The emissions was largely fixed with more accurate air reading to the ecm to have better fueling so it was trivial fix without much negative impact.
    meltdown has negative impact :P

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post
    Poor analogy, more like the "fix" VW had to apply to diesel engines for fiddling their emissions test.
    ??? More like driving a non-fiddled vehicle from another mfg but patching in the performance-impacting VW changes even though they are not needed.

Actually given the specifics of the emissions "fix" the analogy might be beyond saving

Leave a comment:

• Slartifartblast
    replied
    Originally posted by blackshard View Post

That's the point. As long as Meltdown affects only Intel products, benchmarking AMD products with KPTI is like driving a car with the handbrake on.
    Poor analogy, more like the "fix" VW had to apply to diesel engines for fiddling their emissions test which impacted performance.
    Last edited by Slartifartblast; 10 January 2018, 04:56 AM.

Leave a comment:

• eva2000
    replied
    Thanks Michael for the benchmarks especially Apache and Nginx benchmarks which I am interested in. That 21-26% impact for Nginx is huge. I tested my Nginx build on CentOS 7.4 with updated Kernel with KPTI only and saw around 5.5% impact with Siege benchmark https://community.centminmod.com/thr...e-fixes.13694/ on i7 4790K which doesn't have microcode updates yet though.

Leave a comment:

• blackshard
    replied
    Originally posted by DerCaveman View Post

Yes, but it gets interesting comparing AMD + microcode (Retpoline only) against Intel + microcode (Retpoline + KPTI)
    That's the point. As long as Meltdown affects only Intel products, benchmarking AMD products with KPTI is like driving a car with the handbrake on.

Leave a comment:

• fhuberts
    replied
    Originally posted by DerCaveman View Post

Yes, but it gets interesting comparing AMD + microcode (Retpoline only) against Intel + microcode (Retpoline + KPTI)
    That is because AMD does not need KPTI

Leave a comment:

• DerCaveman
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael View Post

Was benchmarked yesterday with Retpoline on Intel and AMD: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...nchmarks&num=1

Leave a comment:

• tomtomme
    replied
    Originally posted by Kayote View Post
    this is laughable all the i7's have been turned into FX's. If I was an intel owner I would request my money back. I might as well do it with Ryzen if they can't keep their word of not crippling it as well.
    AMD FX is not affected? Did anyone benchmark?

Leave a comment:

• Kayote
    replied
    this is laughable all the i7's have been turned into FX's. If I was an intel owner I would request my money back. I might as well do it with Ryzen if they can't keep their word of not crippling it as well.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X