UBports Is Making Progress With Unity 8 On The Desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GizmoChicken View Post

Wayland is a protocol. To use Wayland requires a Wayland compliant compositor, such as Mutter or Kwin. The Mir dev team is, in effect, repurposing Mir to act as a Wayland compliant compositor.

A repurposed Mir (that could act as a Wayland compliant compositor on various distributions) may be helpful to smaller DE development groups that may lack the resources to develop their own Wayland complaint compositors. For example, as reported on Phoronix, Martin Wimpress (from MATE) has stated:

So, you may ask, why not just use Mutter or KWin?

Given MATE's use of GTK, some think that MATE could use Mutter as a drop-in Wayland compositor. But according to Ikey Doherty ( ikey_solus) lead developer of Solus and Budgie) in this thread:

Of course, KWin may be more flexible than Mutter.

And actually, Budgie 11 (the future release of Budgie that will have Wayland support) is being developed with KWin. But whether Budgie 11 ultimately relies on KWin (or something else) for Wayland support remains to be seen.

Also, and not to knock KWin, but KWin was originally written for X11 and has been heavily modified to allow it to act as a Wayland-compliant compositor. In comparison, although Mir wasn't initially written to comply with the Wayland protocol, Mir was written from the ground up to achieve goals that are consistent with the goals of the Wayland protocol. So adapting the Mir display server to be Wayland compliant may be more straightforward than what's been required, thus far, to adapt KWin and Mutter to be Wayland-compliant compositors.

Hopefully, when finished, Mir will offer a generalized solution that will be easier for DE devs to apply.
    I recently got confirmation that Budgie 11 will be running on top of a custom compositor, not KWin. They tries KWin at first but they ended up with similar problems to those they had with Mutter i.e. having too many ties to the DE they were developed for. So they started developing their own compositor.

Comment

Originally posted by andrebrait View Post
      I recently got confirmation that Budgie 11 will be running on top of a custom compositor, not KWin. They tries KWin at first but they ended up with similar problems to those they had with Mutter i.e. having too many ties to the DE they were developed for. So they started developing their own compositor.
      I figured that KWin is being used as a stopgap for testing. But as for what Budgie 11 will ultimately use, I suspect (admittedly without much basis) that a final decision has yet to be made.

Personally, as I wrote before, I hope that "when finished, Mir will offer a generalized solution that will be easier for DE devs to apply" and so I hope that Budgie 11 (along with lots of other DEs) will ultimately use Mir. But until ikey_solus makes an announcement, I suppose we'll have to wait and see what Budgie will use.

Comment

Working...
      X