Linspire Is Back From The Dead In 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    Windows support is total crap, either on phone or email or pigeon or anything, unless you are some large company, and then they kinda start to listen. It's not hard to beat.
    For sure, they are blame shifters to the max. You call with a Windows problem and the default Microsoft answer is that it must be something wrong with your hardware, so call the hardware vendor because MS can't help you.

Comment

It does not take much reading of the Linspire site to find problems.

At PC/OpenSystesms LLC our mission is to help people and businesses throughout the world realize their full potential.

LinspireOS is the ONLY Debian and Ubuntu based system that is certified by Oracle and IBM to host and deploy their respective cloud technologies.
      Now lets check out the above claim
      An image is a template of a virtual hard drive. Find a list of platform images that are available in Oracle Cloud Infrastructure.

Above link is the direct Oracle cloud support operating systems. Notice something ubuntu is there but there is no LinspireOS.

Above link here is the IBM cloud supported list Debian and Ubuntu again no LinspireOS.

The PC/OpenSystems LLC Open Source team are some of the best in the industry.    We work on several Open Source projects and make our so...

So there source code tracker is not on-line. Serous question are you in fact buying a operating system that is not providing the source code and doing copyright violation?

Also notice that their web site is a blogger page. I would say someone has acquired the LinspireOS name and is now attempting to profit from it. If they have the resources to support operating system long term will be iffy. I could have stuck to bogus claims for such a limited site there are quite a few questionable claims.

Comment

Originally posted by GI_Jack View Post

There's Ubuntu(Canonical) and Redhat for that. Linux Mint also has paid professional support.

Do you really trust these clowns?

IIRC they did a pretty bad job last time.
        Ok, maybe I should have explicitly mentioned "Linux Desktop". Someone who takes care that the breadth of apps behave in a eff* sane manner, and maybe just maybe dont make anything latency sensitive totally miserable to squeeze a few percent out of server-benchmarks.
        Currently on Debian: XFCE is just broken, as every instance of Thunar will hang if some program heavily works on a directory that's displayed - back to Gnome 3. VSync with videos just gets broken continuously, Bluetooth headset worked without issues several years ago. Network shares work at around 20-60MB/s (FUSE - NFS - tweaked CIFS) while Windows effortlessly manages 120MB/s.

I am just done dealing with this crap, once you fixed one issue two others show up. If someone would be willing to actively test these un-Linux-y issues which aren't scripted benchmarks and eMacs, and solve them (ideally before they hit me), then I would be willing to pay.
        Unfortunately I don't see that happening, its boring work, so no one does that for free, and "paid professional support" from the companies mentioned means to help solving the things you did wrong.

Comment

I still have the Acer? PC with Linspire pre-installed on it that I bought a long time ago for daughter to do her school papers. It hasn't been run for several years. I was hoping to scavenge something from it, but doubt there is much that would still be useful.

Now running Mint 17 & 18 on some more capable PCs. I don't recall anything about original Lindows/Linspire that isn't accomplished better now by Mint.

Comment

Originally posted by discordian View Post
            Ok, maybe I should have explicitly mentioned "Linux Desktop". Someone who takes care that the breadth of apps behave in a eff* sane manner, and maybe just maybe dont make anything latency sensitive totally miserable to squeeze a few percent out of server-benchmarks.
            Currently on Debian: XFCE is just broken, as every instance of Thunar will hang if some program heavily works on a directory that's displayed - back to Gnome 3. VSync with videos just gets broken continuously, Bluetooth headset worked without issues several years ago. Network shares work at around 20-60MB/s (FUSE - NFS - tweaked CIFS) while Windows effortlessly manages 120MB/s.

I am just done dealing with this crap, once you fixed one issue two others show up. If someone would be willing to actively test these un-Linux-y issues which aren't scripted benchmarks and eMacs, and solve them (ideally before they hit me), then I would be willing to pay.
            Unfortunately I don't see that happening, its boring work, so no one does that for free, and "paid professional support" from the companies mentioned means to help solving the things you did wrong.
            I think you missed my point. Linspire had a terrible reputation last time, and it failed. There are already established companies that provide support. Many of them, including RH and Canonical do in fact offer desktop support. RH is a profitable company, at this point 3 decades old, not a start up, and is a premiere technology company that is dead serious business. You are correct that its Desktop sales are not as big as Server, but it does offer a desktop. Ubuntu, again, got famous smoothing out the rough edges of debian.

When Lindows was tried last time, Linux on the desktop was downright terrible. Since then Ubuntu has come along and smoothed out many of the smooth edges of debian. Fedora also doesn't do a bad job either. Neither of these existed back then. Lindows also did a pretty crappy job too.

For all the bellyaching of Ubuntu/Canonical, I really don't see these people doing a better job, especially with Ubuntu going back to gnome. If you want to pay for a supported version of debian, they are likely your best bet.

Comment

Debian is always a good base for a distribution but the app selection which is added for Linspire compared to Freespire is a joke. This is certainly no selling point. At least they support custom ISO creation in that case. Basically all you need for this is the config for live-build. If they "sell" this anybody can build images with different packages who knows how this works. I have got no idea how they want to count installation numbers - weird to think of serial numbers for Linux ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by discordian View Post

What debian. I am on Debian testing I am not seeing any of those issues. Network performance thing without using proper tools Windows will fib its head off. Saying 120MB/s when it only doing 60MB/s.

Samba project does serous bench-marking. Now there have been some network cards that perform badly under Linux. I do know that CIFS and NFS can do well past 120MB/s on decent linux compatible hardware. That is where you bought a laptop/desktop that was certified to run Linux not some random item with possible questionable network cards.

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post

What debian. I am on Debian testing I am not seeing any of those issues. Network performance thing without using proper tools Windows will fib its head off. Saying 120MB/s when it only doing 60MB/s.

Samba project does serous bench-marking. Now there have been some network cards that perform badly under Linux. I do know that CIFS and NFS can do well past 120MB/s on decent linux compatible hardware. That is where you bought a laptop/desktop that was certified to run Linux not some random item with possible questionable network cards.
                  I remember seeing some benchmarks a few years back that showed Samba on Linux *beating* Windows Server in CIFS performance.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post

I remember seeing some benchmarks a few years back that showed Samba on Linux *beating* Windows Server in CIFS performance.
                    I have seen real world cases where people have converted randomish windows machines to Linux and had a network card that is badly supported and the performance was crap. Also when running real bench-marking on those machines I was also seeing windows fibbing on performance.

So I would not say report about Linux network file systems being slow is false but it could be purely poor choice of hardware.

Yes the benchmarks on good hardware have CIFS under Linux running rings around Windows performance.

Comment

If I were to place a wager, I'd bet they'll never add a single useful thing to the original release, and are simply charging for the original software.

This is the same outfit (which as far as I can tell consists soley of Roberto Dohnert) claiming to have added major improvements to the "Remastersys" scripts that allow you to create your own bootable ISO from a running Linux system. They called it "Black Lab Image Creator", and charged $50 for access to their improved version.

After submitting payment, I did receive a copy of their "product" -- it was exactly the same as the original Remastersys scripts, with a single line commented out and all the copyright information changed to indicate that "PC OpenSystems" was now the copyright holder. I reported them to the original developer of Remastersys, who sadly chose not to press the issue.

Oh, and when I requested a refund of my $50, Roberto Dohnert not only denied my refund, but indicated he wanted me to delete all copies of the software he'd sent me.

I strongly suggest everyone steer very clear of any offering from PC OpenSystems.

Comment

Working...
                      X