Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7-Way Linux OS Comparison With KVM

Phoronix: 7-Way Linux OS Comparison With KVM

Complementing our recent Amazon EC2 Linux cloud distribution benchmarks, here are some fresh test results when comparing various Linux distributions when benchmarking them as guest VMs with the KVM hypervisor.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

ArchLinux is missing and deserves a place in your collection @Michael.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
      ArchLinux is missing and deserves a place in your collection @Michael.
      Are there many companies/clouds using Arch? Didn't include it in this comparison as wasn't aware of any major users of Arch in KVM/cloud-type deployments.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Damn, OpenSUSE must be doing something right. Except the boot times..

Comment

They have delays to make sure that hardware initialization completes. I'm running tumbleweed on most of my machines, and don't really notice it much. server class machines boot slowly anyway, and my Thinkpad T-460p doesn't seem slow compared to windows booting.

Comment

Originally posted by dweigert View Post
            They have delays to make sure that hardware initialization completes. I'm running tumbleweed on most of my machines, and don't really notice it much. server class machines boot slowly anyway, and my Thinkpad T-460p doesn't seem slow compared to windows booting.
            Slow suse Boot is only an issue with wicked. Change to networkmanager and you are fast again.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
              Phoronix: 7-Way Linux OS Comparison With KVM

Complementing our recent Amazon EC2 Linux cloud distribution benchmarks, here are some fresh test results when comparing various Linux distributions when benchmarking them as guest VMs with the KVM hypervisor.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=25703
              @Michael: How about a statistic of the top3 and the low3 entries instead of the winner/looser count?
              This would make this statistics more meaningful and should be easier to code than the ranking stuff I proposed before.
              I know you told me already to start coding, but as I do not even know how to use git and have not coded besides html and R years ago I would rather leave this job to the professionals.

Comment

Clear Linux is so impressive. I think I am going to try to tune my compiler to match their options on Arch.

Comment

Originally posted by cen1 View Post
                  Damn, OpenSUSE must be doing something right. Except the boot times..
                  Wicked (their own alternative to Network Manager which works for relatively simple server stuff) delays boot until it has established a connection. It is the one managing the network by default (and is the one you can configure with Yast)

Network Manager does not have this issue as it does not block boot until it gets a connection or timeouts.

Comment

Might be suitable or useful to append link to https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...x-On-AMD-Ryzen .
                    I just found out about Clear Linux from this post. Pretty cool stuff from Intel.

Edit: As it relates to server use-case, this article is more suitable for anyone curious enough about Clear Linux on AMD platform:
                    Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
                    Last edited by azdaha; 25 December 2017, 05:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X