X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• crymsonpheonix
    replied
    Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    People will look for alternatives first, and only if there are no alternatives will go through the ordeal to install unsupported stuff and dealing with any breakage.

Who will do that, the people that can't be arsed to port a "crappy little tool" to a newer framework?
    Yeah, I see them coming in droves.

How about making sane tools in the first place? Commandline backend, controlled by a simple python/ruby/Zenity GUI frontend. It's actually faster than using GTK in your application, and for 99% of tool applications it is perfectly fine.
    But they did. They wrote it in python2 using GTK2 bindings. Because python 3 sucks, since you can actually using unicode reliably, and that's bad. Also GTK3 sucks because it works with Wayland and HiDPI displays, and those are stupid. And now Ubuntu is going to drop all of the good software!

Leave a comment:

• matthewtrescott
    replied
    How about making sane tools in the first place? Commandline backend, controlled by a simple python/ruby/Zenity GUI frontend. It's actually faster than using GTK in your application, and for 99% of tool applications it is perfectly fine.
    And perhaps most importantly, using Polkit so it's not necessary to run the GUI as root, which is incompatible with Wayland.

Leave a comment:

• nanonyme
    replied
    Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
    Lol, hold on. We have loads of crappy little internal tools made using the latest (at the time) Gtk+2. We wouldn't dream of spending time porting them to Gtk+3 when they work perfectly fine. Actually we even have a couple of Gtk+1 programs kicking about.

Ubuntu can demote it until the cows come home... People can and will carry on using it however. Heck I am 99% sure that we will see a port of Gtk+1 and Gtk+2 to Wayland.
    I am even confident to say that Gtk+1 will outlive Wayland (and Ubuntu) in terms of getting it working.
    Just that it's in universe doesn't mean it's not installable, just means there's less interest in maintaining it. The "eventual" removal might be very far away depending on whether it keeps working with minimal amount of effort which they will unless the upstreams die. If they do, it makes sense to drop Gtk1 and Gtk2 as unsupported anyway

Leave a comment:

• nanonyme
    replied
    Originally posted by AsuMagic View Post

With debian testing you could run this much faster. Ubuntu is bad because it is bloated with shitty poettring software. If you remove networkmanager and unused systemd services your system will boot much faster and it will run much faster if you have a 1000hz non debug kernel. XFCE would run much better than all of this shit for sure. Linuxhippy's benchmark is awful because he should have run Tomb Raider because it runs the same everywhere.
    Great, so now he has an official deputy

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
    Ubuntu can demote it until the cows come home... People can and will carry on using it however.
    People will look for alternatives first, and only if there are no alternatives will go through the ordeal to install unsupported stuff and dealing with any breakage.

Heck I am 99% sure that we will see a port of Gtk+1 and Gtk+2 to Wayland.
    Who will do that, the people that can't be arsed to port a "crappy little tool" to a newer framework?
    Yeah, I see them coming in droves.

Leave a comment:

• schmidtbag
    replied
    His post contains a good selection of debianxfce's statements, making his post a 100% genuine debianxfce angry post.
    Yeah I get that now. debianxfce usually is a little bit more on-topic, which is what threw me off. Sometimes hard to sense sarcasm or flippancy through text.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    O....k...? I don't really know how that has anything to do with what I said, or how that even relates to the article...
    His post contains a good selection of debianxfce's statements, making his post a 100% genuine debianxfce angry post.

Leave a comment:

• ElectricPrism
    replied
    Consistent looking Applications is something I value.

Using GTK2 apps in design is just emberrassing when you have dark theme and are working for Million Dollar clients.

Leave a comment:

• cybertraveler
    replied
    Maybe someone should send this article to Valve. You know... see if we can get them to back the trend. Valve likes Ubuntu after all.

Leave a comment:

• AsuMagic
    replied
    Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    O....k...? I don't really know how that has anything to do with what I said, or how that even relates to the article...
    Exactly, and it's about what debianxfce would answer.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X