Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu Developers Working Towards The Eventual Demotion Of GTK2

Phoronix: Ubuntu Developers Working Towards The Eventual Demotion Of GTK2

Not only are Ubuntu developers working towards demoting Python 2 on their Linux distribution but they are also working on being able to demote the GTK2 tool-kit from the main archive to universe followed by its eventual removal in the future...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

. This also will mean a better Wayland experience, better performance, etc.
    How do you come to the conclusion that apps ported to GTK3 will perform better than on GTK2?
    At least for some use-cases (Eclispe) GTK3 is significantly slower than GTK2.

I once compared several SWT implementations and those were the results:

Time per benchmark run:
    GTK3: 1942 millis
    GTK2: 757 millis
    Motif: 615 millis (32-bit VM, SWT-3.5.2)
    Swing: 156 millis (default Ocean LnF)

Best regards

Comment

*patiently awaiting an angry post from debianxfce*

Comment

Lol, hold on. We have loads of crappy little internal tools made using the latest (at the time) Gtk+2. We wouldn't dream of spending time porting them to Gtk+3 when they work perfectly fine. Actually we even have a couple of Gtk+1 programs kicking about.

Ubuntu can demote it until the cows come home... People can and will carry on using it however. Heck I am 99% sure that we will see a port of Gtk+1 and Gtk+2 to Wayland.
        I am even confident to say that Gtk+1 will outlive Wayland (and Ubuntu) in terms of getting it working.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          *patiently awaiting an angry post from debianxfce*
          With debian testing you could run this much faster. Ubuntu is bad because it is bloated with shitty poettring software. If you remove networkmanager and unused systemd services your system will boot much faster and it will run much faster if you have a 1000hz non debug kernel. XFCE would run much better than all of this shit for sure. Linuxhippy's benchmark is awful because he should have run Tomb Raider because it runs the same everywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by AsuMagic View Post
            With debian testing you could run this much faster. Ubuntu is bad because it is bloated with shitty poettring software. If you remove networkmanager and unused systemd services your system will boot much faster and it will run much faster if you have a 1000hz non debug kernel. XFCE would run much better than all of this shit for sure. Linuxhippy's benchmark is awful because he should have run Tomb Raider because it runs the same everywhere.
            O....k...? I don't really know how that has anything to do with what I said, or how that even relates to the article...

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
              Heck I am 99% sure that we will see a port of Gtk+1 and Gtk+2 to Wayland.
              I am even confident to say that Gtk+1 will outlive Wayland (and Ubuntu) in terms of getting it working.
              It's more likely that people with the requisite expertise will just use XWayland. Given how so many non-trivial programs depend on various bits of the X11 API that GTK+ 2.x exposes rather than wrapping, it doesn't really make sense to port it. GTK+ 1.x even moreso.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                O....k...? I don't really know how that has anything to do with what I said, or how that even relates to the article...
                Exactly, and it's about what debianxfce would answer.

Comment

Maybe someone should send this article to Valve. You know... see if we can get them to back the trend. Valve likes Ubuntu after all.

Comment

Consistent looking Applications is something I value.

Using GTK2 apps in design is just emberrassing when you have dark theme and are working for Million Dollar clients.

Comment

Working...
                    X