• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DoDoENT View Post
    And last, but not least: my compiz config manager doesn't work anymore:
    Code:
    dodo@2nd-of-12:~$ ccsm
    ** (ccsm:8608): WARNING **: expected enumeration type PangoWrapMode, but got GtkWrapMode instead
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "/usr/bin/ccsm", line 132, in <module>
        idle = ccm.IdleSettingsParser(context, mainWin)
    TypeError: __init__() takes exactly 2 arguments (3 given)
    Any ideas how to solve at least something of that???

My graphic card is ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 (R500) (in HP Compaq nx9420) and I'm running a 64 bit system.
    I don't know about your other problems, but this one is most likely caused by an older version of ccsm installed with some path prefix other than /usr/ (I was the one who made that change to ccsm at the end of August and I've seen this problem come up). Try this command:
    Code:
    locate site-packages/ccm
    and make sure you delete the listed ccm folders other than the one under /usr/lib/. Also delete the corresponding ccsm executable, .egg-info, and share/ccsm directory. For example, if you find that a directory /usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/ccm/ exists, then it means a ccsm version was installed earlier with the path prefix /usr/local. In that case, delete the directories /usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/ccm/ and /usr/local/share/ccsm/ as well as the files /usr/local/bin/ccsm and /usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/ccsm*.egg-info .
    Last edited by cornelius; 31 October 2008, 01:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ebird View Post
      I am very disappointed of ubuntu. The desktop responsiveness problem with heavy io is still there and even worse than in gusty or hardy. While installing some apps with synaptics, the whole desktop freezes. Sometimes for nearby a minute.
      I have not seen that happen in a while now on pretty much any distro I've tried. You get this on what hardware? Sadly Firefox (and Thunderbird) scrolling seem to be slow as of late pretty much all across the board of distributions (why on earth does smooth-scrolling and auto-scrolling are so painfully slow?), I don't think this is inherently due to "Linux" or GTK, but rather how GTK is implemented and used by Mozilla for FF and Tb, I don't see these problems with (for instance) Epiphany or Galeon using Gecko as the backend.

At any rate, this IO problem may point out to either:
      • A configuration problem (fresh Vs upgrade install, for example), other options or drivers not being optimized, etc.
      • Hardware problems... Since you have been trying a LOT of stuff, maybe it is indeed time you give Windows a try and if it works just fine (with the proper set of drivers) it may be a software issue (lack of proper support for your HW?), if not... Maybe your HDD or your controller is dying?

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
        Well don't forget that compiz is running by default. I don't think that's really needed. Also the proper gfx driver has to be installed of course.
        Compiz is the first thing I always disable. Although it's running really fast in intrepid. And suspend and resume takes only about 5 second with the latest nvidia's driver.

You can try it. Copy a 2 GB file and try to work with gimp, firefox or even gedit. Intrepid freezes. I think this is an issue since 2.6.20 and Gutsy. Ubuntu is most affected.

Comment

Originally posted by cornelius View Post
          Code:
          locate site-packages/ccm
          and make sure you delete the listed ccm folders other than the one under /usr/lib/. Also delete the corresponding ccsm executable, .egg-info, and share/ccsm directory. For example, if you find that a directory /usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/ccm/ exists, then it means a ccsm version was installed earlier with the path prefix /usr/local. In that case, delete the directories /usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/ccm/ and /usr/local/share/ccsm/ as well as the files /usr/local/bin/ccsm and /usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/ccsm*.egg-info .
          You are my savior!!! Thank you very very much!
          So far, I've solved this compiz issue and radeon XVideo playback. Now, fglrx remains...

Comment

Originally posted by Thetargos View Post
            At any rate, this IO problem may point out to either:
            • A configuration problem (fresh Vs upgrade install, for example), other options or drivers not being optimized, etc.
            • Hardware problems... Since you have been trying a LOT of stuff, maybe it is indeed time you give Windows a try and if it works just fine (with the proper set of drivers) it may be a software issue (lack of proper support for your HW?), if not... Maybe your HDD or your controller is dying?
            It's not only my hardware affected. I tried the amd64 and i386 version, on pata and sata drives and on two different machines (R50p and T61p). It's there after an update and on a fresh installation. The io problem is known since Fedora 9 or since Gutsy. There are no problem with the CentOS 2.6.18 kernel (till last update) or the Feisty 2.6.15/16. Fedora is less affected, but still there. I have installed the CentOS 2.6.18 kernel on Fedora 9. The desktop responsiveness is remarkable, the old kernel cause many problems with policykit, hal and udev.

I would use CentOS, if there would exist a Gnome 2.22 or higher amd64 repository for CentOS.

Comment

Originally posted by oyvind View Post
              EXA generally works well for me with the radeon-driver (ATI X1400 mobile), and I get proper Textured Video support in Ubuntu 8.10, as well.

However, there are small corruption issues when enabling EXA, though they are easy to cope with.
              Does anyone know if that means that tearing-free myththv playback would work with Intrepid/EAX on a 780G?

Comment

G45?

Does anyone know if Intrepid will install & work correctly (for most definitions of correctly) on a G45 motherboard?

Comment

Originally posted by liels View Post
                  Does anyone know if Intrepid will install & work correctly (for most definitions of correctly) on a G45 motherboard?
                  You can try to boot Ubuntu from the live cd. This won't install anything, but will let you run Ubuntu from the cd itself. If it works in a live session, it will also work in a normal session.

Comment

If you do a copy test you have to do it by console with cp. Becasuse Nautilus since 2.22 has GVFS, witch is another layer.

Comment

Upgraded, everything works great and better. I'm sticking to Linux for another 6 months

Comment

Working...
                      X