No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 8.10 "Intrepid Ibex" Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I want to note, that this lack of splash on boot described above, seems to only affect systems upgraded through apt or disk to 8.10, but fresh installations do not show this... Also I noticed a tad better performance in a fresh install than an upgraded one.

Comment

Originally posted by Thetargos View Post
      DoDoENT:

You may get XV back with the open source driver, but you may expose yourself to potential prolbems, by using EXA. Ubuntu 8.10's open driver defaults to XAA (even with composite enabled) so all you have to do is add to the Device section of xorg.conf:

Code:
            Option   "AccelMethod" "EXA"
      Save and restart X, you'll notice you will be able to play back videos using XV again.
      Thanks a lot for that. It works!

Comment

Originally posted by mdmadph View Post
        ...and that's why I'm sticking with 8.04. I've got everything working, and I really don't want to go through it all again. I encourage bleeding-edge users to upgrade, but all the computers I maintain are sticking on the LTS release.
        That's why I always perform a fresh install. I can imagine that that's really not an option for you though. :P

Comment

Originally posted by Thetargos View Post
          DoDoENT:

You may get XV back with the open source driver, but you may expose yourself to potential prolbems, by using EXA. Ubuntu 8.10's open driver defaults to XAA (even with composite enabled) so all you have to do is add to the Device section of xorg.conf:

Code:
                Option   "AccelMethod" "EXA"
          Save and restart X, you'll notice you will be able to play back videos using XV again.
          EXA generally works well for me with the radeon-driver (ATI X1400 mobile), and I get proper Textured Video support in Ubuntu 8.10, as well. Man, I'm IMPRESSED with the radeon-driver, it totally rocks for general desktop-usage with Compiz (I don't game on my laptop). Way ahead of fglrx in that area !
          * Compiz is solid, and NO PROBLEMS WITH FIREFOX SCROLLING or performance in general. This just shows how much fglrx sucks.
          * Video works like a charm (with EXA enabled).
          * Suspend/resume is lightning fast and rock solid (first time ever for me).

However, there are small corruption issues when enabling EXA, though they are easy to cope with.

I recently filed the following bugs related to radeon+EXA:
          Binary package hint: xserver-xorg-video-radeon I get consistent and frequent glyph-corruption if I use bitmap-fonts (which are not anti-aliased) in Gnome-terminal. The corruption will almost always be triggered by moving/navigating the cursor over glyphs (thus temporarily inverting the colors). I have attached a screenshot which clearly shows the problem when editing a file in GNU nano. Xorg driver in use is xserver-xorg-video-radeon git20081003.f9826a56-0ubuntu2. EXA-acceleration is enable...

Binary package hint: xserver-xorg-video-radeon When scrolling a web page in Firefox that has check-boxes in a form, I frequently observe slight graphics corruption under some of the check-boxes. The corruption is typically black pixels. Hovering mouse over affected check-boxes makes it go away (presumably because this triggers a high-light redraw). Xorg driver in use is xserver-xorg-video-radeon git20081003.f9826a56-0ubuntu2. EXA-acceleration is enabled. Ubuntu 8.10 (fully updated, install...

Binary package hint: xserver-xorg-video-radeon I observe occasional corruption of window decorations. It is quite rare, though. It manifests itself as a tiny, horizontal, white line of garbage in the upper right corner of the affected window (on the decoration/frame, across the transparent shadow). The window decorator is the standard gtk-window-decorator that comes with Compiz on Ubuntu, with decorator setup at defaults and standard Human theme. I have no screenshot of this at the moment, ...

Binary package hint: xserver-xorg-video-radeon I observe an occasional tiny corruption of the mouse-cursor. It manifests itself as horizontal garbage at the bottom of the "cursor square" (that thing around the actual cursor graphics which is usually transparent :) ). It only seems to affect certain applications which change the cursor. For instance, running Firefox remotely with X-forwarding on a RHEL5 installation, the corruption can appear. The cursor is different in this app compared to t...

You could check to see if any of those affects you as well, and add comments ..

Regarding Ubuntu 8.10 in general, I think this is a really solid release. I installed the RC (on three different machines) and I've had very few problems, installation was smooth. It's polished, boots and shuts down fast and works well. I've had to tweak and fix very little.

Congratulations to all those who have contributed to making this the best Ubuntu-release ever !

Comment

I am very disappointed of ubuntu. The desktop responsiveness problem with heavy io is still there and even worse than in gusty or hardy. While installing some apps with synaptics, the whole desktop freezes. Sometimes for nearby a minute.

Working with eclipse is awful. Firefox is very slow.

I have tried Fedora. Better performance, but still unuseable. Same with Arch.
            CentOS was fine, till now. The last kernel becomes slow. Solaris. Too many problems. MacOS does not work.

I tried to speedup with a new fast machine. No improvement. Installed a SSD. No improvement. It's time to test Vista.

Comment

Well don't forget that compiz is running by default. I don't think that's really needed. Also the proper gfx driver has to be installed of course.

Comment

I have found that ETQW performs worse since Ubuntu Hardy (Intrepid is the worst performer in Linux with this game) FPS stays very low (on Lenny I get more FPS but there are slowdowns), and Intrepid "included" nvidia driver (177.80) has graphical glitches that don't appear when installing the driver manually.

Comment

I am still disappointed with intrepid.

Even if I've managed to get 3D acceleration and XVideo with radeon driver, I can't start "ccsm", and my compiz settings are messed up. The fglrx doesn't work, and with radeon driver and compiz turned off, I get cca. 1 frame per 2 seconds in google earth. Disaster!!
                  I've taken a look into a repository: Still eclipse 3.2, amarok 1.4 (same as in hardy), and many more... Now, I'll start a countdown to a fedora 10 release and say "goodbye forever, ubuntu".
                  Last edited by DoDoENT; 30 October 2008, 06:59 PM.

Comment

Even though I'm usually an openSUSE (and, lately, Arch) user, I want to like this release.

HOWEVER, I went with the MID release to pop on my Aspire One. Wow. To say the UI is half-baked on that is being a bit generous. It doesn't save real estate on the screen, it doesn't save on overhead, and the task manager is nearly worthless.

did an "apt-get install kubuntu-desktop" since I'm a KDE fan, and I know KDE 4.1 runs plenty well enough on a hyper-threaded 1.6GHz with a gig of ram. But my window manager is messed up. Guess the "netbook edition" stuff's configuration is even messing with KDE, since I have no title bars. Not only that, but everything that isn't a plasmoid demands having the whole screen (yes, even the little pop-up box when you click on the Kmix icon in the system tray).

Everything else seems fine, but the UI turned into a complete usability nightmare. Part of me says "just grab a real Kubuntu image and start over", but putting an .iso on a thumb drive is such a pain! That, and, last I checked, a lot of the mirrors are being overwhelmed. Guess I'm dealing with it for now.

Comment

Originally posted by ebird View Post
                      I tried to speedup with a new fast machine. No improvement. Installed a SSD. No improvement. It's time to test Vista.

Well in that case you're going to love millenium2 eh Vista...

Comment

Working...
                      X