Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu Is Getting Ready To Further Demote Python 2

Phoronix: Ubuntu Is Getting Ready To Further Demote Python 2

There's a little more than two years left until Python 2 will be officially discontinued by upstream and Ubuntu is preparing accordingly for this end of life...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

How much is that inherited from Debian's work? I guess some libraries need to get into gear for python 3 (I'm looking at you, Fabric!)

Comment

I'd love to see Python 2 go away, but I am skeptical that Ubuntu will be able to do this in 2 years, because:

1) There are still many big and important systems that depend on Python 2 in the cloud and beyond
      2) New frameworks are still being built on Python 2
      3) Many crucial libraries are not being converted, meaning that moving to Python 3 requires you to do deal a much reduced open source ecosystem
      4) Unfortunately the move from Python 2 is non-trivial, and for large codebases with little manpower it is prohibitive

The decision to break backward compatibility in Python 3 had proved to be truly damaging for the Python community. I think it will take a few more years to recover, if at all.

Comment

Good. Python2 needs to die.

Comment

Originally posted by emblemparade View Post
          I'd love to see Python 2 go away, but I am skeptical that Ubuntu will be able to do this in 2 years, because:

1) There are still many big and important systems that depend on Python 2 in the cloud and beyond
          3) Many crucial libraries are not being converted, meaning that moving to Python 3 requires you to do deal a much reduced open source ecosystem
          4) Unfortunately the move from Python 2 is non-trivial, and for large codebases with little manpower it is prohibitive

The decision to break backward compatibility in Python 3 had proved to be truly damaging for the Python community. I think it will take a few more years to recover, if at all.
          Remember the 20.04 release will have support until 2025 for people that still care about python2. Also it's not like you couldn't bring python2 in, it's just Ubuntu won't include such packages in its default repositories.

Comment

GIMP and Electron (hence Atom, Spotify, VS Code, Skype, etc) still relies on Python 2.

Comment

Originally posted by InsideJob View Post
              I think Python is easier to learn than BASIC.
              Try Guile. Much easier. Ugly as hell though...

Comment

Originally posted by emblemparade View Post

You're badly out of date
                1) Upstream is still fixing bugs up to 2020, then no fixes anymore
                2) Many significant projects have announced Python3 support is gone in new versions starting in 2018. Python2 users need to stick with legacy releases and backport
                3) Most things that aren't abandoned are ported
                Python2 is going away, deal with it

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                  GIMP and Electron (hence Atom, Spotify, VS Code, Skype, etc) still relies on Python 2.
                  Electron has no runtime dependency on Python, just a few minor build scripts if that is what you meant (also Spotify is not an Electron app).

Comment

Originally posted by TingPing View Post

Electron has no runtime dependency on Python, just a few minor build scripts if that is what you meant (also Spotify is not an Electron app).
                    Also, exist port branch to py3 and another oen to NodeJS. It's just Google problem.

Comment

Working...
                    X