Red Hat Plans To Deploy Next-Gen Stratis Storage For Fedora 28

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
    What's their main reason to make a new filesystem, instead of improving Btrfs or ZFS?
    They're not making a new FS.

Comment

Originally posted by OneBitUser View Post

Not Invented Here.

Plus I guess RH wants total control over the direction in which their filesystem is developed.
      from the stratis doc
      Unfortunately, existing VMFs aren’t easily used on RHEL. ZFS isn’t an option RHEL can embrace due to licensing (Ubuntu notwithstanding.) Btrfs has no licensing issues, but after many years of work it still has significant technical issues that may never be resolved.
      Also if you read more you find out it is not a new filesystem but a layer that uses lvm,xfs,etc to achieve the same things offered by btrfs/zfs

Comment

Originally posted by untore View Post
        from the stratis doc

Unfortunately, existing VMFs aren’t easily used on RHEL. ZFS isn’t an option RHEL can embrace due to licensing (Ubuntu notwithstanding.) Btrfs has no licensing issues, but after many years of work it still has significant technical issues that may never be resolved.
        Also if you read more you find out it is not a new filesystem but a layer that uses lvm,xfs,etc to achieve the same things offered by btrfs/zfs
        After reading the analysis part of the document, surprisingly enough, the idea is to only use device-mapper + XFS in the short term while submitting patches to LVM2 until it supports the capabilities that Stratis will need.

These two efforts will go on in parallel, likely informing the development of both Stratis (device-mapper + XFS + integration layer) and LVM2 (RH contributed patches).

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
          Nobody uses bluetooth for the internet traffic.
          Hello, my name is Nobody.

(I even have older PDAs that do Bluetooth DUN)

Originally posted by untore View Post
          Currently, XFS does not checksums the data (though recent versions have started to checksum the metadata). It's something that BTRFS is offering my that would be severly lacking in Stratis.

Currently XFS doesn't support Copy-on-Write or Log-structured, instead it writes inplace like ext4/3/2. I prefere FS that are gentler on my flash media, like BTRFS, ZFS, UDF, F2FS,etc. (But work has begun to add this feature)

Currently, LVM can only offer full-volume snapshotting.
          BTRFS and ZFS offer much more features :
          - multiple subvolume snapshots used in parallel (which is absolutely over-used by some containers systems like docker)
          - reflinking, accross subvolume (important for some backup strategies, and also for dedup in general).

(Also, my distro is openSuSE which seem to be rather competent at putting a working BTRFS system together).

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
            Go to the north Korea to restrict freedom of expression and shoot people to the head. Kim Jong-un would be proud of you.

(since none has posted this, I had to)

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
              What's their main reason to make a new filesystem, instead of improving Btrfs or ZFS?
              Stratis isn't a filesystem per-se but more like a Logical Volume Manager. For example the filesystem used is XFS. https://stratis-storage.github.io/St...wareDesign.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by InsideJob View Post
                I agree 100%, Red Hat is a fascist corporate entity.
                Ahem, he never said RH is a fascist corporate entity, so wtf are you doing?

You FBI dudes... erhm I mean "conspiracy theorists" should up your game if you really want to smokescreen .... erhm I mean "open sheeple's eyes" properly.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  Ahem, he never said RH is a fascist corporate entity, so wtf are you doing?
                  I can never tell if WhackJob is trolling or is extremely bad at satirical humor.

Comment

If it was Canonical ... but Red Hat is fine!

Comment

Originally posted by lkundrak View Post

Thanks for letting the rest of the anonymous internet users know.

What are the particular bugs that bother you in NetworkManager?
                      Hi lkundrak!

Well I've personally found that NetworkManager was still acting strange in bridge configurations. For example: Although physical interface was going though a bridge, it was still available in NetworkManager GUI for activation and once this was done there was some non easily reversible issues and possibly even connection lost. So unfortunately I am still disabling NetworkManager service when bridge is present.

Comment

Working...
                      X