Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Hat Plans To Deploy Next-Gen Stratis Storage For Fedora 28

Phoronix: Red Hat Plans To Deploy Next-Gen Stratis Storage For Fedora 28

When we heard of RHEL deprecating Btrfs with Red Hat losing hope in this feature-focused Linux file-system, we were relayed word that Red Hat was planning for their own Stratis project for next-gen Linux storage. Stratis is now expected to ship in preview form for Fedora 28...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
    Red hat produces very buggy software (systemd, networkmanager, pulseaudio, gnome3,wayland), so it is not very wise use that in any computer. Red hat reinvents the wheel with buggy results. But if you want to have your boot screen and log files full with systemd spammed messages when the kernel is not configured as Poettering wants, no network, crashes and resource use with audio and a buggy non configurable slow resource hungry desktop, use software from Red hat.
    Go use BSD then, why waste your time and our time trolling here, nobody is putting a gun to your head to use them.

especially when literally everyone else except the lennart haters use those system perfectly fine and agree they are way better to any previous "UNIXY" equivalent in the past

Comment

Red hat produces very buggy software (systemd, networkmanager, pulseaudio, gnome3,wayland), so it is not very wise use that in any computer. Red hat reinvents the wheel with buggy results. But if you want to have your boot screen and log files full with systemd spammed messages when the kernel is not configured as Poettering wants, no network, crashes and resource use with audio and a buggy non configurable slow resource hungry desktop, use software from Red hat.
      Thanks for letting the rest of the anonymous internet users know.

What are the particular bugs that bother you in NetworkManager?

Comment

I stopped using networkmanager years ago when I had no network no matter I tried to do. It relies on lower level software notifications and user has no control to hardware. With Wicd you can control your networking devices.
        Pardon my ignorance, but what is a "lower level software notification" please?

I suspect that your understanding of both NetworkManager or wicd architecture is not correct given neither controls hardware directly for obvious security reasons.

Comment

I stopped using networkmanager years ago when I had no network no matter I tried to do. It relies on lower level software notifications and user has no control to hardware. With Wicd you can control your networking devices.
          1.) that only happen to me once years ago when version was 0.7(1.10 today) and was a bug on wpa supplicant that got fixed 2 days later on ArchLinux and since then literally never saw a fail again from my desktops/laptops(from some old core2 acer to more modern Haswell Lenovo ones)/servers/etc. note this also include several ARM system like the hard kernel old C2 and U2 and RPI2(with external wifi dong)/3 even when using vpns and bonding.

2.) I think you mean lower level software interfaces that are also used on wicd that also have a lot less functionality and was considered stable for a long while before NM was btw

3.) Since version 0.8 something, nm-cli is pretty verbose and let you handle everything your current desktop client hides from you because obviously not all desktops wanna show all options that a regular desktop user will never use to keep the UI intuitive

Comment

As a desktop user, I've never had any problems with systemd, networkmanager, pusleaudio, or gnome3. I have had some Wayland issues, but as it is still relatively new, this isn't surprising. Maybe this is just because I'm on a relatively stock install of Fedora, and not trying to roll my own environment.

Comment

OMG dude, you've been trolling every post Red Hat's involved in.
              I noticed you left out Red Hat's large involvement with XFS, one of the most stable file systems you'll find....

Comment

Networkmanager works like this:

NetworkManger UI
                A
                | command flow
                |
                network drivers
                You removed NetworkManager from the picture and only left the UI?

Wicd work like this:

Wicd UI
                |
                | command flow
                V
                network drivers
                Do I get it right that the only difference you perceive between the two architectures is the direction of the communication? I can assure you that you're completely wrong about this. How would, in your scheme, NetworkManager be able to tell the device to connect? How would Wicd learn of a wireless network in proximity?

Regardless of what you imagine "command flow" to be, your understanding clearly doesn't correspond to anything that actually exists.

If you insist on commenting about these matters on the internet, I very much suggest that you spend some time educating yourself about the technical matters. You may actually be enjoying your ignorance, but I can assure you that if you shift your opinion-making process towards a more factually based you won't be missing out.

Comment

You do not need any buggy software from redhat.
                  Really? I suggest you do a "git log |grep redhat.com" in a kernel checkout and then perhaps reconsider whether you need it. Conversely, the bits you mentioned -- systemd, wayland, gnome and NetworkManager have a rather large contributor base outside Red Hat. Welcome to the world of collaborative development.

With the ifconfig and other Linux commands you can manage your networking more standard way from the command line.
                  Do you realize that ioctls used by ifconfig are obsolete for long years in favor of rtnetlink based iproute? Literally the people who wrote it think you shouldn't use it. Also, good-luck connecting to a Wi-Fi or a Bluetooth NAP using your "standard" tools.

Comment

Systemd requires the AUDIT flag and recent audit interface to present too and that is not case with the Armbian 3.18 kernels.
                    It would be interesting to see what Red Hat's Arm port does in the same situation (especially now that it's an official port).

Gamers do not use pulseaudio, so much it causes problems.
                    I play games on my machine, and have never had any problems.

With gnome3 you can not even create a desktop launcher easily and the full screen applications menu is not suitable for big screens.
                    How big are you talking? Works fine on my 24" screens. Are you trying to use it on a TV, if so, that's not a failing of Gnome 3. It's not designed for that use case.

Comment

Working...
                    X