No announcement yet.

Red Hat Plans To Deploy Next-Gen Stratis Storage For Fedora 28

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's their main reason to make a new filesystem, instead of improving Btrfs or ZFS?

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
      What's their main reason to make a new filesystem, instead of improving Btrfs or ZFS?
      My guess is Brtfs is still miss very important features(from the enterprise PoV) and ZFS may be a legal minefield with Oracle, hence I think is a ZFS like with some interesting BTRFS features filesystem without the legal drama from Oracle(men, I loved SUN back in the day but I hate they sold the company to Oracle because Oracle suck ass)

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

I stopped using networkmanager years ago when I had no network no matter I tried to do. It relies on lower level software notifications and user has no control to hardware. With Wicd you can control your networking devices.
        There's your problem. If you haven't used NetworkManager for years, then you're not objective enough to say anything about it.

Comment

Originally posted by doublez13 View Post

OMG dude, you've been trolling every post Red Hat's involved in.
          I noticed you left out Red Hat's large involvement with XFS, one of the most stable file systems you'll find....
          I'm pretty sure that trollxfce has found a way to make even XFS unstable.

Comment

Originally posted by whitecat View Post
            Indeed, Gnome3 lacks such an app, but it's not because of Gnome3. This is because no developer took time to write such an app.
            Menulibre works fine. It would be nice to have an integrated solution though.

Comment

Not Invented Here.

Plus I guess RH wants total control over the direction in which their filesystem is developed.

Comment

Originally posted by OneBitUser View Post
                Plus I guess RH wants total control over the direction in which their filesystem is developed.
                They are not writing a new filesystem at all. Stratis will use XFS.

Comment

They're not making a new FS.

Comment

Originally posted by OneBitUser View Post

Not Invented Here.

from the stratis doc
                    Unfortunately, existing VMFs aren’t easily used on RHEL. ZFS isn’t an option RHEL can embrace due to licensing (Ubuntu notwithstanding.) Btrfs has no licensing issues, but after many years of work it still has significant technical issues that may never be resolved.
                    Also if you read more you find out it is not a new filesystem but a layer that uses lvm,xfs,etc to achieve the same things offered by btrfs/zfs

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
                      Red hat produces very buggy software (systemd, networkmanager, pulseaudio, gnome3,wayland), ....
                      I agree 100%, Red Hat is a fascist corporate entity.

North Korea is a democratic people's republic though. Super delegates that rig elections are illegal in North Korea. So God bless them for standing up to the economic terrorists. Poverty kills more people than guns.

Comment

Working...
                      X