Red Hat Plans To Deploy Next-Gen Stratis Storage For Fedora 28

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
    Gamers do not use pulseaudio, so much it causes problems.
    ?? I'm a "gamer", I play some games on Linux, Steam (L4D2, Worms, Xcom, Civ 5 and Civ 6 and some other), Humble Bundle #1 games and also ETQW (from 2007). I have no problem with the PulseAudio.

With gnome3 you can not even create a desktop launcher easily
    Indeed, Gnome3 lacks such an app, but it's not because of Gnome3. This is because no developer took time to write such an app.

Comment

You do not need any buggy software from redhat. With the ifconfig and other Linux commands you can manage your networking more standard way from the command line.
      if the only thing you wanna ever do is assign ip to an ethernet card, for anything else ifconfig is the worst kind of nightmare you can wish to someone.

Things that "buggy RedHat software" is amazingly awesome at:

1.) Stability, as long as the hardware works my networks works regardless the level of complexity(no more SysV lottery hell)
      2.) Standardization, as long as I have that "buggy" software I'm 100% assured my configs will simply work exactly as expected regardless the hardware architecture or distro(no more 40+ init files and scripts to try to deal with X distro)
      3.) Performance, with that "buggy" software I can make sure resources are used on demand only when really needed(no equivalent on SysV clones without needing an army of BASH experts and some deity on my side)
      4.) Capabilities and escalation protection, I decide surgically which capabilities and security features my services need and when and without need to handle SUIDs leaks

Network manager specifics

Reliable and reproducible(<-- keywords here):

1.) VPN handling(Cisco/IPSEC/OpenVPN -- l2tp is a no go for me due to security concerns but works fine as well)
      2.) Bridging(directly or through VLAN segment association)
      3.) openVSwitch(kinda really new but loving it hard so far)
      4.) bonding/balancing
      5.) Tunneling(this one was always a living hell lottery)
      6.) IPV6 handling and passthrough IPV4(boy I love this one badly)
      7.) Teaming
      8.) VxLAN
      9.) INFINIBAND (just for this one I will use NM even if I have maintain it myself)
      10.) Virtualization support(is a sweet heart with either KVM or Xen instances)

And now the most absolutely mission critical feature for me:

1.) Programatic access from any decent languages to all before mentioned features, I wish you have an idea how absolutely amazing is being able to query your current network infrastructure status from your C++ code before actually start delivering packets in 10 LoC consistently instead of having a resource folder with 150+ bash scripts and the respective C++ code to parse it(while praying hard none fails) to do less than what this "buggy" software allows by default.

So, sure for a regular I have only 1 ethernet card user old cli tools may work(as I said NM is rock solid since years ago, so for a new user I a lot simpler to just use their desktop NM client) but for power user/server/cluster/multi architecture setups, etc. complex setups systemd, NM and networkd are god send tools without any real equivalent in the old UNIX cli tools.

The only exception to this rule is Solaris but their network and init system are way more akin to systemd/NM(prolly this both took Solaris way as inspiration) than UNIX cli tools to start with but back in the day was also great compared to BSD or other commercial UNIX offer(still kinda is on Sparc servers)

Comment

You do not run you Fedora everywhere and tuned like Debian testing users do. Recent systemd changes requires to use CGROUP_BPF to be defined in the kernel config. Otherwise systemd spams your logs full with nonsense messages. Systemd requires the AUDIT flag and recent audit interface to present too and that is not case with the Armbian 3.18 kernels. At boot you see lot of disturbing systemd messages when it does not find the api it needs. To make Debian testing Xfce usable in my Amlogic S912 tvbox, I use sysv. Gamers do not use pulseaudio, so much it causes problems. With gnome3 you can not even create a desktop launcher easily and the full screen applications menu is not suitable for big screens.
        What you are describing is not buggy software but a bad distro that allowed an update without check if their kernel package pulled the proper dependencies and if you understand why systemd is whining for those 2 features kernel side(hint is very security enhance related which is why is very good that actually whines a lot and force you to enable them) you will probably switch distros.

Recommendation for ARM systems: the best distro based on my experience is ArchLinux(https://archlinuxarm.org) and will always include any updated security feature required in the kernel when systemd gets updated.

I responded to your previous post but the forum ate it, wait for it

Comment

What's their main reason to make a new filesystem, instead of improving Btrfs or ZFS?

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
            What's their main reason to make a new filesystem, instead of improving Btrfs or ZFS?
            My guess is Brtfs is still miss very important features(from the enterprise PoV) and ZFS may be a legal minefield with Oracle, hence I think is a ZFS like with some interesting BTRFS features filesystem without the legal drama from Oracle(men, I loved SUN back in the day but I hate they sold the company to Oracle because Oracle suck ass)

Comment

I stopped using networkmanager years ago when I had no network no matter I tried to do. It relies on lower level software notifications and user has no control to hardware. With Wicd you can control your networking devices.
              There's your problem. If you haven't used NetworkManager for years, then you're not objective enough to say anything about it.

Comment

Originally posted by doublez13 View Post

OMG dude, you've been trolling every post Red Hat's involved in.
                I noticed you left out Red Hat's large involvement with XFS, one of the most stable file systems you'll find....
                I'm pretty sure that trollxfce has found a way to make even XFS unstable.

Comment

Originally posted by whitecat View Post
                  Indeed, Gnome3 lacks such an app, but it's not because of Gnome3. This is because no developer took time to write such an app.
                  Menulibre works fine. It would be nice to have an integrated solution though.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
                    Not Invented Here.

Plus I guess RH wants total control over the direction in which their filesystem is developed.

Comment

Originally posted by OneBitUser View Post
                      Plus I guess RH wants total control over the direction in which their filesystem is developed.
                      They are not writing a new filesystem at all. Stratis will use XFS.

Comment

Working...
                      X