Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fedora Rawhide Begins Offering Packaged Rust Applications

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Fedora Rawhide Begins Offering Packaged Rust Applications

    Phoronix: Fedora Rawhide Begins Offering Packaged Rust Applications

    Fedora Rawhide ahead of Fedora 28 has begun offering more packaged Rust applications...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...-Rust-Packages

  • #2
    Interesting but im not sure about the value in writing a LS replacement. More interesting would be a shell replacement that is clean and not filled with all the tricks that BASH has.

    Comment


    • #3
      Rust stuff is a total pain to package, been there, tried that, gave up for now. This rustic bootstrap by running remote shell script, and re-downlading pre-built binaries is a total pain, mess, security hazard, and this cargo cradle thing for packages is also annoying, because all it's automatic downloads and whatnot make package sing a nightmare, You are basically constantly flighting this package manager system inside a disto's package manager. Total new-age hipster nightmare. Also this basic cargo stuff appears to download and install really many packages, like maybe 40 or even more (curl bindings and what not) so I need 40+ rust packages just to build the current firefox from source. Total insanity.

      Comment


      • #4
        fd and ripgrep are the fastest applications in their area.

        Another pretty fast application is the GPU-accelerated terminal "Alacritty": https://github.com/jwilm/alacritty

        Comment


        • #5
          I don't believe you'd manage to compile a current Firefox build including Servo with measly 40 crates, when even Servo's own Cargo.lock contains ~300 pinned checksums in the metadata section. Not that I have anything against it, that's pretty much how the Rust ecosystem works, because std is kept minimal on purpose.

          Comment


          • #6
            Love me some ripgrep.

            Comment


            • #7
              More excellent CLI Rust programs: oxipng (multithreaded optipng), Rust/MIT parallel, cgati/yes, xsv (CSV tool, from BurntSushi of ripgrep fame), and uutils/coreutils (rewrite of the GNU coreutils in Rust).

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
                Interesting but im not sure about the value in writing a LS replacement. More interesting would be a shell replacement that is clean and not filled with all the tricks that BASH has.
                You mean like my Ion shell project that now has about ~15,000 lines of Rust?

                https://github.com/redox-os/ion/

                Manual Here: https://doc.redox-os.org/ion-manual/

                I'd like to see some of my other software packaged, too. (Concurr/Parallel are still WIP stages)

                - Font Finder
                - TV Renamer
                - Systemd Manager

                Am also working on a GTK3-based Common Mark Markdown editor with a live preview provided via a GtkWebView; as well as further down the line shortly after completing that I'll be making a content manage system that you can connect to a database and write blog posts and stuff via a GTK3 GUI.
                Last edited by mmstick; 11-28-2017, 01:16 AM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by johnp117 View Post
                  I don't believe you'd manage to compile a current Firefox build including Servo with measly 40 crates, when even Servo's own Cargo.lock contains ~300 pinned checksums in the metadata section. Not that I have anything against it, that's pretty much how the Rust ecosystem works, because std is kept minimal on purpose.
                  Makes sense. Would be equally strange to bundle dependencies with project sources so this dynamic fetching seems like a practical solution. Of course, you'd probably want your own mirror and possibly rebuild the build deps yourself if you were a distro

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by nanonyme View Post

                    Makes sense. Would be equally strange to bundle dependencies with project sources so this dynamic fetching seems like a practical solution. Of course, you'd probably want your own mirror and possibly rebuild the build deps yourself if you were a distro
                    Firefox's crates.io deoendencies are bundled snapshots and are not downloaded from crates.io during the build : https://searchfox.org/mozilla-centra...ird_party/rust

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X