Which Linux Distribution Boots The Fastest? An 11-Way Linux Comparison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dimko View Post
    Only problem I had with it, it does have some bad tendencies with regards to DNS resolution.
    Are you refering to DNS resolution in a sense of populating /etc/resolv.conf with nameservers (as your "DHCP note" would suggest) or in a sense that systemd uses their own local DNS request resolver (systemd-resolved)? From security point of view former is strongly discouraged ("retarded" because there are no secure implementations of that which prevent trivial MitM attacks) and latter had several CVE issues in recent times (unfortunately so did other alternatives such as dnsmasq).
    Last edited by Guest; 17 December 2017, 02:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

I can easily observe that there are persons with intelligence levels below the average and ridiculous false claims on this forum. Nothing more.
      Quod Erat Demonstrandum aka Horatio the Hornblower, blow away.

Comment

Originally posted by tpruzina View Post

Are you refering to DNS resolution in a sense of populating /etc/resolv.conf with nameservers (as your "DHCP note" would suggest) or in a sense that systemd uses their own local DNS request resolver (systemd-resolved)? From security point of view former is strongly discouraged ("retarded" because there are no secure implementations of that which prevent trivial MitM attacks) and latter had several CVE issues in recent times (unfortunately so did other alternatives such as dnsmasq).
        The second one.
        It ignores resolver configuration file.

Comment

What's interesting to me in this article is that the only place that Clear Linux and Solus spend any significant time is in the 'firmware'. What's not clear to me is whether this is /usr/lib/firmware type stuff, provided by the OS. I get the impression that it's not—that it's the UEFI stuff provided by the hardware manufacturer. Which means that the part that Clear Linux can control is right around a second—around a tenth what the hardware is taking. I don't know about the rest of you, but that really bothers me. At least the test wasn't done on an IBM; firmware time would have dominated regardless of the OS.

Comment

Originally posted by hikingpete View Post
            What's interesting to me in this article is that the only place that Clear Linux and Solus spend any significant time is in the 'firmware'. What's not clear to me is whether this is /usr/lib/firmware type stuff, provided by the OS. I get the impression that it's not—that it's the UEFI stuff provided by the hardware manufacturer. Which means that the part that Clear Linux can control is right around a second—around a tenth what the hardware is taking. I don't know about the rest of you, but that really bothers me. At least the test wasn't done on an IBM; firmware time would have dominated regardless of the OS.
            yup IBM software tens to be really bulky inefficient and sluggish...

Comment

Working...
            X