Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 17.10 Radeon Performance: Stock vs. X-Swat Updates vs. Oibaf PPA vs. Pkppa vs. Padoka PPA

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 17.10 Radeon Performance: Stock vs. X-Swat Updates vs. Oibaf PPA vs. Pkppa vs. Padoka PPA

Phoronix: Ubuntu 17.10 Radeon Performance: Stock vs. X-Swat Updates vs. Oibaf PPA vs. Pkppa vs. Padoka PPA

There are several Launchpad PPA options for Ubuntu users wanting to update their Mesa-based drivers. For those curious about the state of these different third-party repositories, here are a few words on them and benchmarks.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=25534

Seems like latest stable (well almost, 17.3 is not yet final) on everything is a good option for now. Also there is a noticeable improvement with LLVM6, so that is something to watch.

Comment

With Ubuntu 17.10 I no longer feel any need to use PPA's for Mesa. Finally, the one in the official repo is useable and more than good enough for everything I throw at it. It's obvious that it has matured a lot during 2017.

Comment

Agreed, Brisse.

Great timing on this article, Michael. I was just bouncing around those same PPA's on my 17.10 setup yesterday.

EDIT: Looks like artful-proposed now has Mesa 17.2.4
        Last edited by perpetually high; 11-23-2017, 12:37 AM.

Comment

Deus Ex runs faster with higher graphics settings? Whaaat?

Comment

Originally posted by DIRT View Post
            Deus Ex runs faster with higher graphics settings? Whaaat?
            Lower resolution for ultra.
            1440p high vs 1080p ultra

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
              PS: was wondering why RADV didn't work on stock or x-swat's, thanks for the heads up! That's the only set back I see as of right now not being on the Padoka/Oibaf ppa.
              This probably: https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...mesa-on-ubuntu

Comment

and this ppa https://launchpad.net/~xorg-edgers/+archive/ubuntu/ppa is not recommended? why?

Comment

The updated mesa 17.2.4 with the dropped vulkan-mir patch mentioned in the bug report can be found here. https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-x-swat...ubuntu/updates Publishing details
                  • Published on 2017-11-08
                  Changelog

mesa (17.2.4-0ubuntu1~17.10.1) artful; urgency=medium * Backport to artful. * vulkan-mir.patch: Dropped, breaks radeon vulkan driver. (LP: #1720890)

It should be popping up as an update soonish from the last response:
                  pgriffais-q wrote on 2017-11-09 : When should we expect the baseline mesa-vulkan-drivers to get that patch for all users of the regular repository? Just so our support agents know what to tell affected Ubuntu users.

Timo wrote on 2017-11-09 :
                  After the package has been reviewed and accepted to enter -proposed it'll usually take 7 days before an update is allowed to enter -updates, assuming it was verified to fix the issue during that period.

Nice article Michael. The biggest fps gains I've been seeing lately is with Serious Sam Fusion/OpenGL with the recent patches average on ultra jumped from 153-156 to 161-166 and 171 (Sand Canyon) when using padoka unstable. Very impressive imo considering I'm still rocking an fx8350
                  Last edited by DarkFoss; 11-14-2017, 03:11 PM.
                  Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety,deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
                  Ben Franklin 1755

Comment

Informative article from Michael. Also thanks to all the ones maintaining the repos.

Comment

Working...
                    X