Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fedora 27 Debuts With GNOME 3.26 Powered Workstation Spin, Modular Server Coming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by phoenk View Post

What were the issues that you experienced?
    Before the issues, allow me to say that Anaconda is hopelessly outdated, it desperately needs to come into the 21st century, it along with OpenSuse's and Debian's installer rank among the most tedious, time consuming installation routine currently used in the Linux world.

As for specific issues, 1 major one and 1 that just should not exist in 2017. I'll start with installing the Nvidia drivers, what a pain in the ass!. I have a Haswell based Xeon, 16GB DDR3, and a GTX 1050 2GB, nothing crazy. In theory, installing the Nvidia drivers on Fedora should be easy, launch the Gnome software center, search for key word Nvidia and you should get a list of a bunch of Nvidia related stuff, including the drivers. Well, I can tell you that all I kept getting was a "nothing found" message when I searched for Nvidia, even after I tried adding various repos. In the end I had to install the drivers the old fashioned way, yes it can be done but in the final months of 2017, when distros like Ubuntu, OpenSuse and Manjaro have simple automated ways to install the proprietary drivers, it reall makes Fedora look outdated.

I could have lived with that, but this next one is a deal breaker and would be for everyone; I have an external drive that is encrypted, on every other distro I have tried when I try to mount it I am asked for the pass-phrase, I supply it and it's mounted, with Fedora 27, it would fail to mount it giving me a weird message about the pass-phrase (I forget the exact language). I tried numerous times, thinking maybe I mistyped the phrase, I even considered that perhaps the drive had been corrupted but ever single other distro I tried I was able to mount it decrypted, even from live-usb but for some reason Fedora 27 would refuse to open it.

that effectively makes Fedora 27 worthless for me.

As for the people bashing Ubuntu, I know it's fashionable to hate on the successful, but Ubuntu really does offer a superior experience. Things work out of the box with a minimum of fuss, graphics drivers are a piece of cake to get working, the installer offers to download and install 3rd party drivers, codecs and updates during the install, it's slick, fast, tones of documentation on their website.

I do like what Solus is doing, with their focus on gaming, definitely a distro to keep an eye on, I plan on revisiting it if they ever release an official build with Mate.

Comment

Originally posted by trivialfis

Actually I did. And Snap on Ubuntu. I wrote a little calendar app for my own use and tried to package it with both FlatPak and Snap.
      All the apps running inside FlatPak or Snap suffer from slow loading. Normally these stuffs take 1 or 2 seconds to open. While with FlatPak, it takes over 10 seconds to open the same app.
      You could open an issue on flatpak repo on GitHub for that

Comment

Originally posted by Spooktra View Post

Wall of text.
        This is such a stupid complaint. Fedora has made it clear many times that they do not support Nvidia's proprietary drivers nor will they provide a mechanism to install them. You want them, you install them the old-fashioned way via Nvidia's package. Full stop. Period.

Especially when the Nvidia proprietary drivers still don't reliably work on Gnome 3 in Wayland (i think?).

Comment

Before the issues, allow me to say that Anaconda is hopelessly outdated, it desperately needs to come into the 21st century, it along with OpenSuse's and Debian's installer rank among the most tedious, time consuming installation routine currently used in the Linux world.

As for specific issues, 1 major one and 1 that just should not exist in 2017. I'll start with installing the Nvidia drivers, what a pain in the ass!. I have a Haswell based Xeon, 16GB DDR3, and a GTX 1050 2GB, nothing crazy. In theory, installing the Nvidia drivers on Fedora should be easy, launch the Gnome software center, search for key word Nvidia and you should get a list of a bunch of Nvidia related stuff, including the drivers. Well, I can tell you that all I kept getting was a "nothing found" message when I searched for Nvidia, even after I tried adding various repos. In the end I had to install the drivers the old fashioned way, yes it can be done but in the final months of 2017, when distros like Ubuntu, OpenSuse and Manjaro have simple automated ways to install the proprietary drivers, it reall makes Fedora look outdated.

I could have lived with that, but this next one is a deal breaker and would be for everyone; I have an external drive that is encrypted, on every other distro I have tried when I try to mount it I am asked for the pass-phrase, I supply it and it's mounted, with Fedora 27, it would fail to mount it giving me a weird message about the pass-phrase (I forget the exact language). I tried numerous times, thinking maybe I mistyped the phrase, I even considered that perhaps the drive had been corrupted but ever single other distro I tried I was able to mount it decrypted, even from live-usb but for some reason Fedora 27 would refuse to open it.

that effectively makes Fedora 27 worthless for me.

As for the people bashing Ubuntu, I know it's fashionable to hate on the successful, but Ubuntu really does offer a superior experience. Things work out of the box with a minimum of fuss, graphics drivers are a piece of cake to get working, the installer offers to download and install 3rd party drivers, codecs and updates during the install, it's slick, fast, tones of documentation on their website.

I do like what Solus is doing, with their focus on gaming, definitely a distro to keep an eye on, I plan on revisiting it if they ever release an official build with Mate.
          i don't have an nvidia card so i don't care but in fedora, you need to install rpm fusion for proprietary things and the nvidia drivers were correctly showing up in software center after having installed that repo...

and for ubuntu, are you talking about that distro that just switched to gnome, which is mainly sponsored by red hat?

Comment

Well, that's the common issue with sandbox.
            No, it's really, really not.

I'm going to be talking about Flatpak, because that's what I know and use — both personally and for work.

The only thing that comes to mind is that if you have a ton of fonts installed in your home directory, and fontconfig is taking ages to rebuild the caches; that is getting fixed into fontconfig, as it's also a pain for non-sandboxed apps as well. Another possible issue is if you're using a spinning disk, but if your launch time is 1-2 seconds, then running a sandboxed app is not going to add an order of magnitude to that.

And it's known that environments like these suffer from performance.
            Known to whom, exactly? There's really nothing inherently less performant about the sandboxing system used by Flatpak.

You just can't expect something docker like to launch as fast as a native app. They secrify performance in exchange of easier packaging.
            All well and good, but Flatpak does not work at all like Docker. There's no volume manager storing images and containers; there's no daemon running. All files in the applications and run times are stored as real files on your storage, and directories mounted inside a container by a setuid helper.

The sandboxing is literally calling into the kernel to set up the file system mount table and drop capabilities, and then launches your application. It's a negligible set up cost, and there's nothing in the design that makes is slower, except implementation bugs in components designed 15 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
              This is such a stupid complaint. Fedora has made it clear many times that they do not support Nvidia's proprietary drivers nor will they provide a mechanism to install them. You want them, you install them the old-fashioned way via Nvidia's package. Full stop. Period.

Especially when the Nvidia proprietary drivers still don't reliably work on Gnome 3 in Wayland (i think?).
              This is such a stupid defense of a stupid policy. This is almost 2018, clinging to some silly ideology will leave you behind.

Comment

Originally posted by luca247 View Post

i don't have an nvidia card so i don't care but in fedora, you need to install rpm fusion for proprietary things and the nvidia drivers were correctly showing up in software center after having installed that repo...

and for ubuntu, are you talking about that distro that just switched to gnome, which is mainly sponsored by red hat?
                I guess you completely ignored the part where I said I tried various methods to get the Nvidia drivers to show up in the software center and they all failed, but please feel free to give advise on how to use something you admit you don't own.

As for Ubuntu, I'm not talking about the parent release, I'm talking about the official flavors, currently using Budgie Ubuntu though I have also installed the Mate desktop alongside because I like both variants.

Comment

Garbage, pure trash. I did a full install of this release on my main pc using a spare SSD that I have laying around, my experiment lasted for all of an hour before I decided to yang that SSD out and go back to Ubuntu were I belong.

It's a shame really, to see all the distros that used to be good, solid, reliable, polished, quality offerings go down the toilet: Fedora, Manjaro, Mint, OpenSuse; or maybe Ubuntu has just spoiled me so much that I can't use anything else, though Solus does look promising if they can ever get it as polished as Ubuntu.
                  Fake news !

Fedora is awesome ! I've used Fedora since Fedora 1 and it's always been very solid : cutting edge without the bleeding edge.

I just upgraded 2 laptops, a BeagleBone Black, Orange Pi 1, Intel "stick". No problems.

Comment

If you want to install non-free software on fedora, it is a 2 minute job to set up fedora fusion. After doing this nvidia drivers and a lot of other software will be searchable and installable.

Comment

I guess you completely ignored the part where I said I tried various methods to get the Nvidia drivers to show up in the software center and they all failed, but please feel free to give advise on how to use something you admit you don't own.

As for Ubuntu, I'm not talking about the parent release, I'm talking about the official flavors, currently using Budgie Ubuntu though I have also installed the Mate desktop alongside because I like both variants.
                      thanks for giving me the permission then...and anyway i was just stating they showed up in the store with fedora 27 and rpm fusion, nothing less nothing more...
                      as for ubuntu, well ok but the core release still switched to gnome...

Comment

Working...
                      X