Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 7.04 to 8.10 Benchmarks: Is Ubuntu Getting Slower?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@Beleriand

You are testing different Nvidia drivers, best use my script:

To install always the latest (177.80 currently) driver on every distro. I optimized the script that it should work without problems with 32+64 bit Ubuntu 8.10 (in case of 8.10 it has to enable multiverse too).

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
      @Beleriand

You are testing different Nvidia drivers, best use my script:
      Well, thats my intention. Imho the tests should show the results of the distros as they come along in the default installation. GPU-drivers make an exception to me because they can't be part of the standard installation as they are under closed license. But I installed the drivers available in the official repositories, as this should be the comfort way a typical users would take. I didn't make any other manual improvements and no additional installations than build-essential and libgtk2.0-dev as they are required by the test suite.

By the way these are my

To be fair you should acknowledge, that code optimization is the attention getter of compilation and not the compilation itself. That may cause the time needed in these tests grows over the distro versions. Maybe the code is faster then, which unfortunately can't be proofed with the suite. Would be a good idea too, wouldn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by ebird View Post
        Have you some data? Is it like 80 -> 40 or 80 -> 70 ?
        That's another thing. Intrepid is using the xorg 1.5 server. The driver should be nearby beta status. Perhaps there are some more fixes in the official driver?
        Performance is horrible in Linux (Fedora, Suse, Mandriva, Ubuntu, Debian, ARch):
        while in Windows I play nicely at highest settings with 60 fps average (frames locked and vsync on, so maybe I could see even more Fps) while using Linux I barely see Fps higher than 55 playing with Low/Normal settings, dropping to their 30s or even 20s most of the time (sometimes in heavy shootings indoor their 10s!), even with small shootings outdoor; the difference is very noticeable, I can assure you.

Comment

Linux I barely see Fps higher than 55 playing with Low/Normal settings, dropping to their 30s or even 20s most of the time (sometimes in heavy shootings indoor their 10s!), even with small shootings outdoor; the difference is very noticeable, I can assure you.
          These are games in Wine right? Some of them have bad performance because Direct3d is not optimised in wine. Native linux games are generally same speed or faster on linux I thought?

Comment

Originally posted by Sacha View Post
            These are games in Wine right? Some of them have bad performance because Direct3d is not optimised in wine. Native linux games are generally same speed or faster on linux I thought?
            My findings are with ETQW 1.5 native.

Comment

You should check this:
              Description: using powertop to check the C state, and found that the deep state time is around 30ms, which is not long enough. Note: we have removed USB NIC, USB mouse etc. the biggest 3 event is: rescheduling interrupt ( this event is not in moblin, and seems like the root cause?) usb_hcd_poll_rh_status extra timer interrupt Reproduce Steps: (1)remove USB NIC, USB mouse etc. (2)using powertop to check the C state Expected Result: the deep C state sh...

It's the kernel taking too much time for itself?

Try with PowerTOP and the tell me. I've always get 25% of CPU when doing nothing.

Comment

Working...
              X