Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 7.04 to 8.10 Benchmarks: Is Ubuntu Getting Slower?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awesome.... NOT.

I don't need a test to prove the difference between my first distro, Ubuntu 7.04, and my worst distro, Ubuntu 8.04. The difference is HUGE on my P4 2.66GHz machine with 256MB DDR1 400MHz ram and GMA 900 onboard graphics, where ubuntu 7.04 was the best thing ever.

Comment

As you can see Hardy was really a bit slow in comparison to Gutsy. But you can see that Intrepid is faster than Hardy, which implies that Ubuntu is not getting slower all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Beleriand View Post
        Hello!

to show the contrary to Phoronix results I did same testing on my own computer with different Ubuntus.
        Your tests only show, that your machine is slow for an 1.92 GHz processor. There is an MP3 encoding on a 1.99GHz Athlon, which is nearby twice as fast as yours. I know is not really comparable.

Hello!
        As you can see, the trend of the Phoronix results can not be affirmed. Some of them even show Ubuntu is getting faster!
        I can see the same trends in your test. The "Bandwidth 0.13" test losses 25% speed. And audio encoding takes longer, on intrepid. The differences are not as big as in the phoronix test, but your machine is much slower. Your memory bandwidth is only 1300MB/s compared to 3300MB/s.

Comment

I have found that ETQW performs worse since Ubuntu Hardy (Intrepid is the worst performer in Linux with this game) FPS stays very low (on Lenny I get more FPS but there are slowdowns), and Intrepid "included" nvidia driver (177.80) has graphical glitches that don't appear when installing the driver manually.

Comment

As you can see Hardy was really a bit slow in comparison to Gutsy. But you can see that Intrepid is faster than Hardy, which implies that Ubuntu is not getting slower all the time.
            The problem exists since gusty or 2.6.20 kernel. I don't have made any phoronix tests, but my system become slow with gusty. Intrepid is reaches an awful responsiveness. Try to copy a big file or to install some apps and working with gimp, firefox or even gedit. Using disc intensive application is an horror since gutsy.

Comment

Originally posted by marakaid View Post
              I have found that ETQW performs worse since Ubuntu Hardy (Intrepid is the worst performer in Linux with this game) FPS stays very low (on Lenny I get more FPS but there are slowdowns),
              Have you some data? Is it like 80 -> 40 or 80 -> 70 ?

Originally posted by marakaid View Post
              and Intrepid "included" nvidia driver (177.80) has graphical glitches that don't appear when installing the driver manually.
              That's another thing. Intrepid is using the xorg 1.5 server. The driver should be nearby beta status. Perhaps there are some more fixes in the official driver?

Comment

I would be interested to see a benchmark comparison between Ubuntu and Debian. There is no question that Debian runs lighter and faster than Ubuntu. This would be the litmus test for just how bloated Ubuntu really is.

Comment

I'm currently running the audio-enconding tests of the test suite on a Thinkpad R31 (P-3 1GHz, 512MB RAM) on Ubuntu 8.10 and the tests that are finished (LAME, OGG, FLAC) are only ~10% lower than the numbers Phoronix got for their T60.

The T60 has a Core2Duo with 1.87Ghz, it should be twice as fast as a P-3 with 1GHz. Remember the scores for the audio-tests are in seconds!

Code:
                         R31         T60
                  LAME  133.07s    120.83s
                  OGG   84.40s     69.81s
                  FLAC  62.13s     56.19s
                  Does now someone believe that the numbers Phoronix got for its T60 and Ubuntu 8.10 can't be right?

P.S :

I will upload the complete results when the tests are finished and post the link here in the forum.

Edit :

The complete results can be found here :

http://global.phoronix-test-suite.co...14-14176-26881
                  Last edited by glasen; 31 October 2008, 09:34 AM.

Comment

I also have 2 more tests (see my post on page 8 for more).

computational
                    gtkperf TotalTime

As you might criticize, theres some difference in screen resolutions.
                    This should not affect the computational result but maybe the gtkperf a bit. I will proof later that its not a big issue.

Furthermore I re-emphasize that I believe that something went wrong with the Phoronix test on audio-encoding. I wait in suspense for results on ohter platforms.

Comment

This is all just a trick to get us to use Phoronix's benchmarking tool and prove them wrong.

Comment

Working...
                      X