Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 7.04 to 8.10 Benchmarks: Is Ubuntu Getting Slower?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• energyman
    replied
    oh boohuuu. How many sites out there test hardware or games on more than one system?

Doing a comparism on one piece of hardware is fine. Comparing something completly different to that results and then conclude that the test was bogus is not.

Leave a comment:

• pataphysician
    replied
    I can't do a clear comparison, but there is no way possible that my 8.04 machine should be anywhere close to a T60, I have done enough cross architecture testing in the past to know this. The values shouldn't be anywhere this close and since the T60 performs right where it should to a 1.7 pentium 4 first gen in the 7.04 and 7.10 tests, I would have to believe there is another problem.

Besides Phoronix test is instant fail as they tested only one fucking machine to do a OS speed comparison, that is called amateur.

Leave a comment:

• energyman
    replied
    instant fail, you can't compare like that. Compare different ubuntu versions on your box.

Leave a comment:

• pataphysician
    replied
    OK I just ran a quick Encode-mp3 test on my system which runs Ubuntu 8.04 and my results do not jive with Phoronix's.

My system is a 1.7GHz Pentium 4(first generation) with 768MB(RIMM) memory, so should be a little less than twice as slow as a T60 dual 1.83GHz Pentium M cores and 1GB memory. A Single core Pentium M 1.83GHz would perform as well as a 3 GHz Pentium 4 first generation, So since lame doesn't use multithreading a comparison can be made as the second processor in the T60 will remain mostly unused, and still the T60 should be about 44% faster. (my hardrive is very old 10 Gig drive, so the T60's should be the same or better)

My results were 123.14s compared, to 116.67s on the T60, so yes my system is just slightly slower than the T60, which is only about 5% faster, where it should be about 44% faster (which is what you see the T60 do on the test under 7.04).

I would also add, it is a really really really bad idea to do a OS version speed comparison, and only use one machine, two different machines is the bare minimum to be able come to any conclusion and write an article, and I would do probably five machines with different architectures, also changing system memory amounts to see any differences as well.
    Last edited by pataphysician; 29 October 2008, 10:17 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Xanikseo
    replied
    This may have something to do with the fact that your Ubuntu 8.10 may be your first partition... Could it?

Leave a comment:

• tzu23
    replied
    Originally posted by glasen View Post
    A user at the german forum "www.ubuntuusers.de" did some tests with his Lenovo T60
    that would be me

Originally posted by Michael View Post
    There's a few possible reasons... Do you have a link to his post / information?
    I'll run a few tests again (unfortunately i don't have "more than 100 hours" to run all the tests) and post the graphics/results here later this day. My T60 is the 2007-FVG Model.

All i can tell you for now is that i get up to two times better results at all your audio-encoding tests -actually very close to Ubuntu 7.04/7.10

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    How can it be that two systems with the same hard -and software got so different test results?
    There's a few possible reasons... Do you have a link to his post / information?

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    trooper09: I can assure you both cores were enabled and that cpuinfo reported both cores.

Leave a comment:

• trooper09
    replied
    Originally posted by joshuapurcell
    My kernel is SMP by default on my T61 with an 8.04 install:

Code:
    [email protected]:~$ uname -a
    Linux laptop 2.6.24-21-generic #1 SMP Mon Aug 25 17:32:09 UTC 2008 i686 GNU/Linux
    I don't know... I am sorry if I am doubtful, but I typically use this command to ensure I have both core enabled:
    Code:
    cat /proc/cpuinfo

Originally posted by Michael View Post
    The kernel used was SMP supported.
    There is a huge difference between supported and enabled.

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    How can it be that two systems with the same hard -and software got so different test results?

Must be because of language support

Leave a comment:

Working...
X