Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daily ISOs Begin For Ubuntu 18.04 LTS "Bionic Beaver"

Phoronix: Daily ISOs Begin For Ubuntu 18.04 LTS "Bionic Beaver"

Ubuntu is back to spinning daily ISOs of their latest development packages in preparation for the next release, which this time around is the 18.04 "Bionic Beaver" Long Term Support release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Christ on a bike, the OSS community really needs to stop naming things with the maturity level of a 12 year old boy

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
      Christ on a bike, the OSS community really needs to stop naming things with the maturity level of a 12 year old boy
      Yeah, we should follow what those professional corporations like Google are doing, and name our OS with dessert name instead of animal names.

Comment

Canonical IS supposed to be a professional corporation. How do you think it looks to their clients when their sales representatives advise them to upgrade to Bionic Beaver? I imagine it wouldn't inspire confidence that they're dealing with a serious IT company

Comment

Canonical IS supposed to be a professional corporation. How do you think it looks to their clients when their sales representatives advise them to upgrade to Bionic Beaver? I imagine it wouldn't inspire confidence that they're dealing with a serious IT company
          It's a code name used for fun among the developers. Anyone using it in a professional capacity will refer to the number, e.g. 18.04. You're being killjoys.

Comment

Would you rather a "beefy miracle"?

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post

Would you rather a "beefy miracle"?
              "Beefy Miracle" is funny and showed flair and creativity. And wasn't it a kernel version? That's not something that's going to be discussed outside of neckbeard circles, and is therefore pretty benign. Bionic Beaver is childish and is the name of a LTS release of a a major distro that is known by their version names. My first distro was Ubuntu, the version I started with was Hardy Heron. I don't remember the version number, but I remember that it was Hardy Heron. The name of an Ubuntu release is important and sticks with you, the version number fades.

Comment

"Beefy Miracle" is funny and showed flair and creativity. And wasn't it a kernel version? That's not something that's going to be discussed outside of neckbeard circles, and is therefore pretty benign. Bionic Beaver is childish and is the name of a LTS release of a a major distro that is known by their version names. My first distro was Ubuntu, the version I started with was Hardy Heron. I don't remember the version number, but I remember that it was Hardy Heron. The name of an Ubuntu release is important and sticks with you, the version number fades.
                if your such a stick in the mud that you cant look past a release name, to a linux distro that has a long history of development with a large user base and is trusted by lots of large companies - a company which was chosen by microsoft to be the first subsystem for windows then you can probably go fuck yourself tbh

Comment

Actually, I can't recall the names of past releases. What sticks with me are the numbers: 12.04, 14,04, 16.04 etc

Comment

Originally posted by Jedipottsy View Post

...then you can probably go fuck yourself tbh
                    Whoa, I'm pointing out immaturity in the OSS community and you come back with this? Way to go proving my point. Chill out dude.

Also, what have you got against capital letters, punctuation and understanding the difference between "your" and "you're"?

Comment

Working...
                    X