No announcement yet.

Arch Linux Ends i686 Package Support Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

openSUSE Tumbleweed still supports 32 bit rolling release for the time being.

Comment

While I am directly affecte by this (running a router with a Via Eden processor and Arch Linux), this is a good change. Arch needs to go forward and there will be a community project just like the Arch ARM one for old machines like my router.

Comment

So long and thanks for the CISC!

Comment

Excellent news. 32 bit is deprecated and a waste of time in development as well.

Comment

Originally posted by pininety View Post
            While I am directly affecte by this (running a router with a Via Eden processor and Arch Linux), this is a good change. Arch needs to go forward and there will be a community project just like the Arch ARM one for old machines like my router.
            This doesnt talk about 32bit arm, only the PC 32bit Hardware.
            32bit arm is still way more common and still supported on the distros supporting arm at all.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
              openSUSE Tumbleweed still supports 32 bit rolling release for the time being.
              It is one of the main reasons I had to add Mozilla repos to Tumbleweed though.

Since i586 (not i686, 32-bit there is i586) in Tumbleweed can't run modern Firefox they are stuck on FF52 (the long support one), and they keep locked also x86_64 on FF52 because they want to keep it a "single distro" or some shit.

Comment

Nice to see this change, but I am sad for my old Atom notebook (Samsung N130), which still works fine. I have been using the 32 bits port, but things have been working sub-par (lualatex broken because poppler isn't updated, or screen broken as well).

Well, I would need a new laptop, but it's hard to choose...

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post

Since i586 (not i686, 32-bit there is i586) in Tumbleweed can't run modern Firefox they are stuck on FF52 (the long support one), and they keep locked also x86_64 on FF52 because they want to keep it a "single distro" or some shit.
                  I've been on Firefox Beta, which is not available in the openSUSE repos or the Mozilla repo, so I just downloaded the package from Mozilla directly and installed it. It updates itself, so it's actually the easiest way to go in the long run.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post

Tumbleweed is one Firefox 56 these days, see [1].

> [1] https://build.opensuse.org/package/s...MozillaFirefox

Comment

Originally posted by Masush5 View Post

It won't.
                      MultiLib on Arch doesn't carry many libraries anyway. At best, you get a 32-bit glibc and some additional minimal stuff.

On Debian, OTOH, MultiArch which allows you to install any library directly from the 32-bit repositories which is also why Debian is not going to drop 32-bit x86 in the near future (why should they anyway).

And since most Steam games on Linux are still 32-bit binaries, Arch users will have to use a 32-bit Ubuntu runtime (chroot) to run most Steam games on their distribution.

Comment

Working...
                      X