Fedora 27 Still Isn't Ready To Ship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by yro84 View Post
    michael, please, clarify some points to me? looooong time not running fedora but im considering coming back to it..

1) is fedora rolling release?
    2) if not, is troublesome to upgrade from one edition to another?
    3) how it fedora going about mesa / radeonsl drivers version?

Im considering to comeback to fedora and leave ubuntu behind.

1) no, it's not a rolling release, but I guess you could go for rawhide (personally I wouldn't suggest it as it might break things)
    2) I always do a clean re-install, but every dist-upgrade I've seen on friends' computers till now was successful and pretty straightforward.
    3) Fedora will update kernel, mesa etc during the life-span of the release, which I personally really appreciate it.

Fedora works quite well for me, but everyone has their own taste and needs. You could give it a shot for a little while and see how it will work out for you.

Comment

michael, please, clarify some points to me? looooong time not running fedora but im considering coming back to it..

You might want to consider also OpenSUSE Tumbleweed too as it also ticks the same boxes.

Comment

no no.. opensuse is not for me. i dont like this distro (dont ask why) :P

whats the lifetime of updates for fedora these days?

ill check fedora 27 when its released.

Comment

Honestly, Fedora has been going down hill for a while, there was a time it was my main distro but it, along with OpenSuse has tanked big time. Ubuntu is were it's at, thought vanilla Debian+Mate is a very close second for me (I find PPA's very convenient which is why give the edge to Ubuntu); I could also see myself switching to OpenIndiana, what a slick OS, I just don't know enough about that OSes command line or it's repositories to use it as my primary OS but I think if I ever hit the lottery big time and decided to start a software/computer company, I would try and acquire the rights to OI and base my product on that.

Comment

no no.. opensuse is not for me. i dont like this distro (dont ask why) :P
            Why?

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post
              Why?
              just dont like it. never did..

Comment

I have been working as DevOps engineer for over five years with about 30 major and minor releases behind my back and we have never released on time. It is unpredictable when blocker bugs will be discovered. Fix the bugs and release the software then. For those who are impatient, see https://fedoramagazine.org/upgrade-f...edora-27-beta/

Comment

1) No but kernel is often upgraded
                  2) Gnome software is the official way to upgrade
                  3) Often upgraded

Comment

Working...
                  X