Ubuntu Server's New Subiquity Installer Is Now In Much Better Shape

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu Server's New Subiquity Installer Is Now In Much Better Shape

Phoronix: Ubuntu Server's New Subiquity Installer Is Now In Much Better Shape

Earlier this year is when Canonical shared they were creating a new Ubuntu Server installer as an eventual replacement to the text-based Debian Installer that their server edition has been using up to this point. It's looking like this "Subiquity" installer could be in good shape by Ubuntu 18.04 LTS...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I don't know but the name "Subiquity" is not the best choice.
    Ubuntu surely can come up with something more creative...

Comment

Originally posted by theghost View Post
      True. (In case you or others are unaware, their desktop GUI installer is Ubiquity, so they just added a S for server in front of it.)
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by theghost View Post
        I'm guessing most people don't know the names of the installer program anyway. Likely most people using Ubuntu don't know their desktop installer is called Ubiquity, or that Fedora/Red Hat's is called Anaconda (which isn't really any better than Subiquity, TBH). It's no big deal what they name it really.

Comment

if only they added native zfs boot (especially with straightfoward luks) into this subiquity

Comment

What about mdadm raid? Is that supported?

Comment

Originally posted by thunderbird32 View Post

I'm guessing most people don't know the names of the installer program anyway. Likely most people using Ubuntu don't know their desktop installer is called Ubiquity, or that Fedora/Red Hat's is called Anaconda (which isn't really any better than Subiquity, TBH). It's no big deal what they name it really.
              Exactly! That's why GNOME chose to rename their apps to Files, Web, etc. Most end users don't know the names of those apps anyway, not even on Windows. They just open up "the web browser" and "the file manager". Windows, macOS and other Linux DE's should follow GNOME's app naming choices.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Exactly! That's why GNOME chose to rename their apps to Files, Web, etc. Most end users don't know the names of those apps anyway, not even on Windows. They just open up "the web browser" and "the file manager". Windows, macOS and other Linux DE's should follow GNOME's app naming choices.
                No, they definitely shouldn't. Ever tried to make a web search for a problem with an application that has a generic name like "Files"? That is hard enough already, now think about trying it when there are different applications with the same generic name.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonMoon View Post

No, they definitely shouldn't. Ever tried to make a web search for a problem with an application that has a generic name like "Files"? That is hard enough already, now think about trying it when there are different applications with the same generic name.
                  I hear what you say but if you search for "gnome files" then it actually kind of works.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonMoon View Post

You clearly didn't get my post. Never mind, then.

Comment

Working...
                    X