Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 27 Making It Easy To Deploy Free RHEL7 VMs

Phoronix: Fedora 27 Making It Easy To Deploy Free RHEL7 VMs

For those wanting to use Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 within a GNOME Boxes driven virtual machine, you can do so for free now with Fedora Workstation 27...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That's something I'm definitely looking forward to when upgrading to Fedora 27!

Comment

This is awesome news for those of us who manage RHEL systems in their day jobs, and want the ability to tinker with RHEL at home (without paying the license cost, or resorting to CentOS). Also perfect for developers, who can now have real RHEL VM's to develop and test with.

Comment

So that explains who GNOME Boxes belongs to I guess. I was happy to install a GUI for kvm virtual machines and give it a try.. but found out it doesn't work at all in Ubuntu 16.04. You add an iso to a vm you're creating, it doesn't work and there is no error message. Also, the GUI is incredibly empty, looks like Minesweeper without the game.

Comment

Originally posted by grok View Post
          So that explains who GNOME Boxes belongs to I guess. I was happy to install a GUI for kvm virtual machines and give it a try.. but found out it doesn't work at all in Ubuntu 16.04. You add an iso to a vm you're creating, it doesn't work and there is no error message. Also, the GUI is incredibly empty, looks like Minesweeper without the game.
          Ubuntu 16.04 is a very old version of GNOME (3.18), so in those years Boxes has been improved a ton.

Comment

Yea I wanted to add a PS: that it's an early version and that I can't really fairly judge the software (perhaps it's also badly packaged or it worked with the versions of libfoo and libbar in the Fedora version that had Gnome 3.18, I don't know)

It's too bad - one use case of VMs can be to keep "old" LTS distro on the hardware (Ubuntu, Mint, other) and run some newer distro in a VM to try out or use newer software (so, running Fedora 27 in a VM with something like lxde, lxqt, fluxbox etc. might be interesting. or ReactOS)
            Perhaps Ubuntu 17.10 or 18.04 will run it fine, from adopting Gnome 3 and Gnome 3.x having matured all around.

Comment

Working...
            X