No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 17.10 ISOs Officially Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I bet many people would have never guessed that one day (in 2017), Gnome would use noticeably more resources than KDE Plasma. That day is now, though. And Gnome offers nothing for me. I could see it being adapted to a kiosk-type environment relatively easy though.

Comment

Originally posted by ThanosApostolou View Post
      I am a Manjaro user (and I will stay with it), but I was really impressed how Ubuntu automatically found and configured my printer on the network which I have connected throught usb to an Ubuntu Server machine and shared through cups (it's an old printer and doesn't have wireless or ethernet capabilities on its own). I didn't even need to add it through the settings, it just automatically finds it when it's connected to my local network!! I don't know if that's a Gnome thing or an Ubuntu specific thing, but good job anyway!
      This is probably `cups-browsed`, a service for CUPS which uses Zeroconf (Avahi implementation on Linux) to discover network printers and make them available on the local machine automatically. It works on other distro too. I'm using ArchLinux so I manually enabled it, it's quite nice but it doesn't work after suspend, I have to restart the service (I configured systemd to do so automatically) and sometimes not after rebooting (I've got another systemd service which restarts the service after a designed interval).

By the way I don't like Ubuntu, and I especially hate Unity, but I'm quite pleased to see them moving forward as it is the main distribution I install on other's computers. I still find it a bit sad that they don't support i686 anymore but it's also a part of "moving forward".

Comment

Is there a way to autohide the left vertical pane in Ubuntu 17.10?
        Edit: Nevermind, I found it.

Comment

Oddly there are two different lubuntu websites. lubuntu.me and lubuntu.net...

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Technically and logically gnome 3 is shit compared to Xfce but the flies like shit too. Gnome 3 is buggy, slow, uses computer resources, can not configure freely, no user desktop launchers, ui design for dummies, poor mouse support etc. At the end of the day more advanced gnome 3 users tweak their desktop to look and feel like Xfce.

Technically, logically, practically, basically, spiritually, XFCE is complete crap compared to anything else. It's nearly a dead project at this point. It was designed as a poor man's GNOME, for people with older computers.

Comment

Originally posted by arokh View Post

Technically, logically, practically, basically, spiritually, XFCE is complete crap compared to anything else. It's nearly a dead project at this point. It was designed as a poor man's GNOME, for people with older computers.
              Waiting for them to kill Mate. It’s pointless with the existence of Cinnamon.

Comment

Originally posted by garegin View Post

Waiting for them to kill Mate. It’s pointless with the existence of Cinnamon.
                Mate is more stable than Cinnamon though..

Comment

Originally posted by piernov View Post

This is probably `cups-browsed`, a service for CUPS which uses Zeroconf (Avahi implementation on Linux) to discover network printers and make them available on the local machine automatically. It works on other distro too.
                  Yeah that's true. However, at least with Ubuntu MATE 17.04 and Manjaro Xfce/MATE you still need to go to printer settings and then add and configure the printer, you just don't need to know its ip or anything because it is discovered automatically. What impressed me with Ubuntu 17.10 is that I didn't even need to add the printer through the settings. For example applications like evince were able to use the printer the moment that it was connected to the network, which can be another really good selling point (among many advantages that linux and free software has) to Windows users.

Comment

You can write scripts to setup your Linux environment to your liking. Easily configure it. Easily install and restore it.

Code:
                    # Enable the firewall
                    sudo ufw enable
                    sudo ufw logging off

# Get some codecs to play media
                    sudo apt-get install gstreamer1.0-plugins-ugly gstreamer1.0-libav

# Add third-party PPA repositories
                    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa

# Get some software I like
                    sudo apt-get install synaptic gnome-session-flashback blender chromium-browser hexchat pepperflashplugin-nonfree gimp ipython3 lm-sensors p7zip stjerm vlc wine-stable

# Pepper Flash for Chromium
                    sudo /usr/sbin/update-pepperflashplugin-nonfree --install

# Setup web server
                    sudo apt-get install lighttpd php-cgi php-sqlite
                    sudo lighty-enable-mod fastcgi
                    sudo lighty-enable-mod fastcgi-php
                    sudo phpenmod pdo_sqlite pdo_mysql

# Fetch some stuff
                    wget https://fpdownload.adobe.com/get/flashplayer/pdc/27.0.0.170/flash_player_npapi_linux.x86_64.tar.gz
                    wget https://github.com/shimmerproject/Greybird/tarball/master -O greybird.tar.gz
                    wget https://github.com/shimmerproject/Numix/tarball/master -O numix.tar.gz
                    wget https://fc00.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2011/332/3/b/derp_by_lassekongo83-d4hklmr.7z
                    wget https://github.com/lassekongo83/zuki-themes/tarball/master -O zuki-themes.tar.gz
                    wget https://github.com/nana-4/Flat-Plat/tarball/master -O flat-plat.tar.gz
                    wget https://github.com/lassekongo83/plano-theme/archive/master.zip -O plano-theme.zip

# Configure themes (in /usr/share/themes/ or ~/.themes/)
                    gsettings set org.gnome.metacity theme Greybird

# Ignore GNOME HIG, we want a classic black terminal
                    #gconftool-2 --set --type bool /apps/gnome-terminal/profiles/Default/use_theme_colors false
                    #gconftool-2 --set --type string /apps/gnome-terminal/profiles/Default/background_color '#000000000000'
                    #gconftool-2 --set --type string /apps/gnome-terminal/profiles/Default/foreground_color '#FFFFFFFFFFFF'
                    #gconftool-2 --set --type string /apps/gnome-terminal/profiles/Default/background_type 'transparent'
                    #gconftool-2 --set --type float /apps/gnome-terminal/profiles/Default/background_darkness '0.75'

# Hide the keyboard layout indicator applet
                    gsettings set com.canonical.indicator.keyboard visible false
                    # Hide input menu from context menu
                    gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface show-input-method-menu false
                    gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface show-unicode-menu false

# Hide text labels from toolbar
                    gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface toolbar-style 'icons'

# 10 minutes instead of 5 minutes
                    gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.session idle-delay 600

# I need Alt+click for apps and games, so lets use WinKey instead
                    gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.wm.preferences mouse-button-modifier '<Super>'

# Use WinKey instead of Alt for the window management hotkeys (Metacity)
                    gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.wm.keybindings begin-move "['<Super>F7']"
                    gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.wm.keybindings begin-resize "['<Super>F8']"

# I want my window management buttons on the right side
                    gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.wm.preferences button-layout 'menu:minimize,maximize,close'

# Get minimize and maximize button back on the gnome-shell titlebar
                    gsettings set org.gnome.shell.overrides button-layout 'menu:minimize,maximize,close'

# Settings for the civilized world
                    gconftool-2 --set --type string /apps/panel3-applets/clock/format '24-hour'
                    gconftool-2 --set --type string /apps/panel3-applets/clock/speed_unit 'm/s'
                    gconftool-2 --set --type string /apps/panel3-applets/clock/temperature_unit 'C'
                    gsettings set com.canonical.indicator.datetime time-format '24-hour'
                    gsettings set org.gnome.GWeather distance-unit 'km'
                    gsettings set org.gnome.GWeather speed-unit 'ms'
                    gsettings set org.gnome.GWeather temperature-unit 'centigrade'
                    #gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface clock-format '24h'

# I want good old fashioned classic scrollbars
                    echo export LIBOVERLAY_SCROLLBAR=0 >> ~/.xprofile

# Turn gedit into programming mode
                    gsettings set org.gnome.gedit.preferences.editor auto-indent true
                    gsettings set org.gnome.gedit.preferences.editor bracket-matching true
                    gsettings set org.gnome.gedit.preferences.editor display-line-numbers true
                    gsettings set org.gnome.gedit.preferences.editor display-right-margin true
                    gsettings set org.gnome.gedit.preferences.editor highlight-current-line true
                    gsettings set org.gnome.gedit.preferences.editor scheme 'oblivion'

# File templates
                    echo '#!/usr/bin/env python' > "$(xdg-user-dir TEMPLATES)/Python.py"
                    echo '#!/usr/bin/env perl -w' > "$(xdg-user-dir TEMPLATES)/Perl.pl"
                    echo '<?php' > "$(xdg-user-dir TEMPLATES)/PHP.php"
                    echo '#!/usr/bin/env ruby' > "$(xdg-user-dir TEMPLATES)/Ruby.rb"
                    echo '<!DOCTYPE html>' > "$(xdg-user-dir TEMPLATES)/HTML.html"

# Configure Git
                    git config --global user.email "[email protected]"
                    git config --global user.name "Your Name"

# Disable third-party non-free software repositories
                    sudo add-apt-repository -r multiverse
                    sudo add-apt-repository -r restricted
                    Code:
                    # Stuff for Firefox in about:config
                    privacy.donottrackheader.enabled;true
                    general.autoScroll;true
                    intl.regional_prefs.use_os_locales;true

Comment

Originally posted by ThanosApostolou View Post

Yeah that's true. However, at least with Ubuntu MATE 17.04 and Manjaro Xfce/MATE you still need to go to printer settings and then add and configure the printer, you just don't need to know its ip or anything because it is discovered automatically. What impressed me with Ubuntu 17.10 is that I didn't even need to add the printer through the settings. For example applications like evince were able to use the printer the moment that it was connected to the network, which can be another really good selling point (among many advantages that linux and free software has) to Windows users.
                      Windows 10 does that...

Comment

Working...
                      X