Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenWRT-Based LEDE 17.01.3 Released

Phoronix: OpenWRT-Based LEDE 17.01.3 Released

LEDE 17.01.3 is the newest release of the Linux Embedded Development Environment that is derived from OpenWRT and intended as a complete firmware replacement for various routers and other devices...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I installed the early version it is nice. But for some reason, a lot of my devices cannot connect to the wifi when using LEDE and dd-wrt, so I have to go back to the stock firmware.

The hair raising thing about LEDE is that it do not provide a "back-to-factory" firmware for my router. I only discovered this when I tried to go back to the original firmware. Never will try it again while they did not provide a link THAT WORKS to the factory firmware, like dd-wrt does.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
      I installed the early version it is nice. But for some reason, a lot of my devices cannot connect to the wifi when using LEDE and dd-wrt, so I have to go back to the stock firmware.

The hair raising thing about LEDE is that it do not provide a "back-to-factory" firmware for my router. I only discovered this when I tried to go back to the original firmware. Never will try it again while they did not provide a link THAT WORKS to the factory firmware, like dd-wrt does.
      I installed LEDE on my router and then followed the OpenWRT wiki for reverting to stock firmware on by Archer c7 v2, worked fine but the instructions were quite unclear so i needed 3 tries before actually succeeding.

I love LEDE/OpenWRT and enjoyed it a lot on my old router. On my current one I needed to relay another wifi with relayd which didn't work on 17.01.2 so I had so revert to stock firmware which is a shame. I cannot see that relayd has been updated, so it's probably not worth to try it again.

Comment

Originally posted by johanb View Post

I installed LEDE on my router and then followed the OpenWRT wiki for reverting to stock firmware on by Archer c7 v2, worked fine but the instructions were quite unclear so i needed 3 tries before actually succeeding.

I love LEDE/OpenWRT and enjoyed it a lot on my old router. On my current one I needed to relay another wifi with relayd which didn't work on 17.01.2 so I had so revert to stock firmware which is a shame. I cannot see that relayd has been updated, so it's probably not worth to try it again.
        If I not mistaken, I used the DD-WRT "back-to-factory" firmware to go back to the original. To me that is the biggest problem with LEDE documentation. Their firmware is very nice, I like very much, but unfortunately they still are using unmaintained OpenWRT documentation to guide new users to do things, and that is very bad.

Comment

The LEDE documentation could see some improvements, I agree. Though LEDE itself runs very stable since the first day I switched from OpenWRT. I appreciate that they release faster and that Linux is updated with the latest security fixes. Something I always missed from OpenWRT and LEDE is to make the upgrade easier, yes I can manually download and install the upgrades, but from my point of view security updates should be applied easier and/or automated if I run a default configuration. They do have a lot of device targets, I know, but it coould see some improvements :-)

Comment

I do not think LEDE should be called "OpenWrt-based": LEDE started a fork of OpenWrt, but then almost all developers moved to LEDE; now OpenWrt is completely stalled, and there are talks to incorporate OpenWrt as a sub-project inside LEDE, or at least to merge LEDE back into OpenWrt.

Comment

Any news on re-merge with OpenWRT since May?

Comment

I had issues with ath10k on my Nighthawk with the stable version of LEDE, switched to a snapshot (running kernel 4.9.44) and it works a charm

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
                  If I not mistaken, I used the DD-WRT "back-to-factory" firmware to go back to the original. To me that is the biggest problem with LEDE documentation. Their firmware is very nice, I like very much, but unfortunately they still are using unmaintained OpenWRT documentation to guide new users to do things, and that is very bad.
                  The main issue is that such device-specific documentation does not appear out of thin air, and core devs can't do anything about it.
                  Core devs don't have all devices like as with dd-wrt, since LEDE split they started requiring people submitting new devices to write flashing and rollback instructions in the commit, but for older stuff it's still the same crappy situation as before.
                  Last edited by starshipeleven; 04 October 2017, 01:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
                    http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail...ay/007336.html

Any news on re-merge with OpenWRT since May?
                    They started transferring domains to the SPI in Augoust http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail...st/008521.html

But I missed a good chunk of mail in september because outlook.com is retarded, so I might have missed something more recent.

Comment

Working...
                    X