NixOS 17.09 Released With GNOME 3.24, Various Low-Level Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NixOS 17.09 Released With GNOME 3.24, Various Low-Level Improvements

Phoronix: NixOS 17.09 Released With GNOME 3.24, Various Low-Level Improvements

Version 17.09 of the NixOS Linux distribution built around the Nix package manager is out with a new release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Richard Nixon? No Thanx!

Comment

Wow. This OS actually brings some functionality that is very useful. Might give it a try.

Comment

I wish nextcloud setup would be completly doable without external nixpackages. yes nextcloud itself is there but you need some souce to get it running with a webserver. if you do the work and setup this external stuff, but its not very nice to have to do that work for a very mainstream thing. But nobody aperently has the time do get that included in upstream even its 90% done.

Also sadly my xbox controller will not work in nixos >17.xx cause something in kodi 17.x changed something with input.

I guess I have to install fedora to find out how it would work in a "normal" linux and then try to port that to nixos. Also if you like nixos, guixsd would be the alternative, but sadly they have no lvm support so not really a option too.

Sad that this distros has some pretty basic problems, but they target probably not primary desktop at this point. Its just funny that they have a package for exwm very obscure software I and 5 other users use on the planet, but don't have a functional nextcloud install method in upstream. (the nixos project).

But thats the disadvantage of opensource projects, that the users dont matter but only the free time of some unpaid developers.

It sucks a bit, I would be willing to do some stuff myself in guixsd (except the lvm shit) I mostly do lisp programming today anyway. But the nixos language is really one of the craciest strangest "programming language" I even seen. Basicly they could not deside if they want a programming language or a configuration file markup, so they created some weird mixture of both, thats neither C like nor lisp like.

So they miss the point of many devs understanding the language easily cause they neither use a c-style lang in their normal work, nor is it cool like lisp

I even tried some small things, I guess some perl or ruby people maybe could understand that language easier, for me the language structure is completly cracy and bad. And I am not really willing into investing that much time cause I prefer lisp much.

also basicly source is the documentation, there is some documentation for the basic things on the website, but if you want to do some more stuff you have to read source code and try to understand them to use the packages basicly.

Heck its hard enough to somewhat understand the management tools in nixos, its more complex than the usual stuff you do in Systemd as example.

As example in what universe that syntax make any sense:

Code:
        (let newpkgs2 = import (fetchTarball https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs-channels/archive/nixos-17.03.tar.gz) {};
         in
          newpkgs2.kodi)
        is that syntax from php or which aids language does use such retarted syntax?

Not to mention that that does not really work, yes the kodi version gets installed, but only parralel to the normal version you use (basicly thats whats called pinning in debian), but your desktop manager will only list the normal installed kodi version and is unable to start that "pinned" version.

Also its hard to somehow do that manual cause there is no startx or xinit stuff (security reasons), so you cant start it somehow manually.
        Last edited by blackiwid; 04 October 2017, 01:07 AM.

Comment

OK I just tested xbox controller inside a fresh fedora installation. Its not working anymore since kodi 17, no wireless xbox controller support under linux anymore aperently.

So to make it short that's no nixos problem.

Comment

Working...
          X