Our Last Time Benchmarking Ubuntu 32-bit vs. 64-bit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post

At the same time there isn't really a point to forcing everyone to bring in a 32-bit userspace when anyone who is going to be gaming (as implied by running Steam) should have hardware that isn't 11+ years old to be able to run any non-casual modern game and thus by default will have a 64-bit computer. Also I've found with numerous software including things like firefox that running 32-bit binaries on a 64-bit OS tends to expose bugs that the 64-bit builds don't have for whatever reason.

It would also signal to game developers to only do 64-bit builds as well, which they should be but haven't been.
    Good points all, but I don't think it's hit that "critical" phase yet. I totally do agree with you about game developers needed to move to 64bits. Many of them should've made that move years ago. AoS is a good example of where things are going though. And many of the game engine companies are ready for that transition to take full swing.It won't be too much longer now.

Comment

It makes no sense to me when some people say that 64-bit is taking more RAM, when on a 64-bit system you're forced to have 32-bit libs around anyway. How much extra RAM is being used by having both 64-bit and 32-bit libs in RAM at the same time? Less would be used if you just moved to 64-bit entirely, even though it may be more than 32-bit individually.

Put another way, the choice of what is in RAM is typically between the following:
      • 64-bit only system, using only 64-bit libs and apps
      • 32-bit and 64-bit system, and having multiple copies of a lot of things used
      From that POV, it's obvious that keeping 32-bit around is actually using more RAM, not less!

And for the people that say that some apps technically don't need to be 64-bit: that may be true, but when you go to 32-bit under the assumption that you don't need 64-bit, in the long run you're using more resources than if you simply switched in the first place!

Long story short; whether all apps need to be 64-bit is irrelevant. Keeping two architectures around and maintained is always more work than simply using just one, even if not every app actually needs the benefits of the new platform. Having an homogeneous environment gains more than any small loss you might experience in moving to 64-bit (and that's if there even is a loss).
      Last edited by sa666666; 30 September 2017, 02:00 PM.

Comment

Having started as an embedded systems designer in the heyday of simple 8 bit microprocessors, I'm always a bit sad when beloved technologies fade. But fade they must, and this is as good a time as any for a major consumer distribution like Ubuntu to end 32 bit support. There will always be a need for simpler and smaller processors and software that runs on them, but not much remains in the consumer market.

Comment

I hope thy keep 32bit support in Lubuntu for a while, and don not artificially limit my Pentium 4 PC to old software, as google chrome did by not providing 32bit builds anymore (Luckily Firefox is still providing 32bit versions). In that case i'd sadly need to switch distro.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
            there is no longer reason for 32bit operating systems and or 32bit programs. It's a waste of time for developers.
            For comparison PC 64 bit existed before iPhone was invented in 2007. iPhones are now 64 bit only as of last week. It CAN be done if pushed enough.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
              Lets not forget to say "Thanks AMD!" for bringing 64 bits to the x86 world. If it were up to intel, x86 would be 32 bit only.
              You can have Itanium!

Haha that’s not even supported by Enterprise vendors anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
                there is no longer reason for 32bit operating systems and or 32bit programs...
                To me there is, because lots of people still have 32bit machines (like I do) and they are just fine/sufficient. No need to get rid of them, no need to praise 64bit without putting it into perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by QuImUfu View Post
                  I hope thy keep 32bit support in Lubuntu for a while, and don not artificially limit my Pentium 4 PC to old software, as google chrome did by not providing 32bit builds anymore (Luckily Firefox is still providing 32bit versions). In that case i'd sadly need to switch distro.
                  Look, that machine is 13-17 years old, it's time to buy new hardware if you want to run modern software. Nobody has an obligation to support your ancient hardware, and it probably runs terribly anyway. Computers aren't a thing where you can buy one and expect to be supported or work well forever.

Comment

Originally posted by sverris View Post

To me there is, because lots of people still have 32bit machines (like I do) and they are just fine/sufficient. No need to get rid of them, no need to praise 64bit without putting it into perspective.
                    By "Lots" you mean what could fall under a rounding error in the total population of PCs, as it's only ancient crap and some semi-modern Atom based netbooks and tablets because of Intel being a dipshit. Everyone else has long since upgraded, and you should too.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael
                      4GB system memory [...] was used for this benchmarking
                      Michael Then why do the OpenBenchmarking.org stats above that sentence say MEMORY=8192MB?

Comment

Working...
                      X