No announcement yet.

Knoppix 8.1 Now Available For A Retro Linux Experience In 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wobbly windows are the best, I use them everywhere, this (on medium setting) gives a somehow natural feel to moving the windows around. I always feel strange wherever wobbly windows don't work.

Comment

You can make fun of wobbly windows and desktop cube all you want, but without me seeing videos of that in middle school and deciding "I need that in my life," I would've never gotten into Linux, may never have really gotten into programming beyond dabbling, and my career might look very different today.

Comment

Knoppix? Man, that feels like the "good old times", when I struggled getting sound and the ISDN connection working.

Comment

Man does that bring back a lot of memories... Found myself first thinking that something was the most awesome thing since sliced bread and then coming to realize that there's such a thing as too much graphical mucking about in a UI you're supposed to use for productive work after trying to actually use it.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

I should clarify... With the wobbly windows by default and all the other effects.
            After reading this, I simply couldn't resist doing this on my work laptop (running Ubuntu 17.04)

sudo apt install compizconfig-settings-manager compiz-plugins

And opening ccsm and ticking "Wobbly windows".

To be honest, at first my session crashed but on second try it works flawlessly.

Comment

a distribution with superior quality! i wish this guys joined some more popular distro team to bring that quality there!

Comment

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post
                Knoppix was the first ever Linux distro that I used - and unintentionally.
                For me as well. It had some fun games, but it could not set the correct resolution to my 1280x800 laptop screen. I guess nv was not quite up to the task with widescreen resolutions. I had a GeForce4 440 Go, if I remember correctly.

Comment

Knoppix has both a 32-bit and 64-bit kernels and will choose the appropriate one at boot time. However, other than the 64-bit kernel everything else is still 32-bit. Thats fine for most apps however if you want to build 64-bit executables then you are out of luck. I liked Knoppix for a bit to be able to test optimization on different computers (e.g. Core2 and Hawsell) but more or less gave up without 64-bit builds. You only get 8 SIMD registers in 32-bit instead of 16 for XMM and YMM and 32 for ZMM in 64-bit mode.

Comment

Originally posted by dwagner View Post
                    The article missed to mention one of Knoppix' greatest features: Not using systemd for startup
                    There is nothing like an old joke, and thats nothing like an old joke

Comment

Working...
                    X