Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 17.10 Will Drop The 32-bit Desktop ISO

Phoronix: Ubuntu 17.10 Will Drop The 32-bit Desktop ISO

Ubuntu will no longer be producing a desktop i386 ISO beginning with the soon-to-be-released Ubuntu 17.10...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Glad to see they're keeping the i686 Server images. The smaller memory footprint of i686 vs x86-64 allows me to run about 30% more VM instances.

Any chance of them dropping older CPU architectures on the server images? No one runs P4 servers anymore since they are so massively inefficient. While I'm almost always memory constrained, a free CPU performance bump never hurts.

Comment

>The smaller memory footprint of i686 vs x86-64 allows me to run about 30% more VM instances.

Would love to better understand your use case where it makes a difference - how do you measure it and what it the app?

Related, have you tried LXD instead of VMs? https://linuxcontainers.org/lxd/

Comment

Stupid decision. In my opinion they should drop 32bit after Ubuntu 17.10 and they should say - your next release is only x64bit but no... they drop it from day to day (like Unity) this is wrong in my opinion.

Comment

What will Lubuntu do?

Comment

Arch leads the way once again

Comment

Now all they need to do is:

1. Drop the Ubuntu XX.10 releases
              2. Keep Ubuntu LTS
              3. Create Ubuntu Rolling-Release
              4. Create Ubuntu Rolling-Release [testing] [stable] [core] to assure QA.

Comment

In before someone starts moaning that they're running one of those 32-bit Atom EEE-style netbooks from 10 years ago....

Comment

Originally posted by GhostOfFunkS View Post
                  Clever. QA is most likely to fail when you have a test case explosion. Trim.
                  Yeah, if they want to have a decent user experience with GNOME they need all the resources they can free up.

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
                    In before someone starts moaning that they're running one of those 32-bit Atom EEE-style netbooks from 10 years ago....
                    Or even worse they start moaning over purely philosophical reasons that have no standing in real life.

Comment

Working...
                    X