Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 17.10 Will Drop The 32-bit Desktop ISO

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #11
    Finally!

    32Bit machines cannot handle Ubuntu as it should run IMHO. Besides, the world should be moving into 64bit a long time ago... (anyone knows where's that 128Bit computer i've been dreaming on??? ahahah)

    Lubuntu will keep running on 32bit for sure (at least i hope so)! It makes total sense.

    Comment


    • #12
      Will lubuntu keep making 32 bit desktop images?

      Comment


      • #13
        Originally posted by xpris View Post
        Stupid decision. In my opinion they should drop 32bit after Ubuntu 17.10 and they should say - your next release is only x64bit but no... they drop it from day to day (like Unity) this is wrong in my opinion.
        You will still be able to upgrade a 32-bit install to 17.10.

        Comment


        • #14
          Originally posted by danieru View Post
          Will lubuntu keep making 32 bit desktop images?
          Even if they don't, it does not really matter. Package archive in 32 bit is sufficient.

          Comment


          • #15
            Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
            Now all they need to do is:

            1. Drop the Ubuntu XX.10 releases
            2. Keep Ubuntu LTS
            3. Create Ubuntu Rolling-Release
            4. Create Ubuntu Rolling-Release [testing] [stable] [core] to assure QA.
            umm, and call it Debian..? ah no, that already exists

            Comment


            • #16
              Originally posted by JeansenVaars View Post
              umm, and call it Debian..? ah no, that already exists
              I think you missed the joke. The only way to make a better Ubuntu is to make a Debian.

              Comment


              • #17
                Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
                Now all they need to do is:

                1. Drop the Ubuntu XX.10 releases
                2. Keep Ubuntu LTS
                3. Create Ubuntu Rolling-Release
                4. Create Ubuntu Rolling-Release [testing] [stable] [core] to assure QA.
                I imagine Ubuntu probably won't go rolling-release due to a drop in popularity. I imagine most "casual" (not sure on a better term) users interested in Linux will hear of a popular distro's next release (like Ubuntu 17.10, Fedora 27, whatever the next versions of openSUSE Leap and Debian will be, etc), but what kind of news will you hear of about rolling distros?

                I personally don't hear anything about Arch Linux unless it's a meme about some random person using it, and the only thing I've heard about openSUSE TW lately was that they have an official NVIDIA GPU driver repo now, and I saw that on an article here on Phoronix.

                On a different note, what could a rolling-release Ubuntu solve that isn't taken care of by current rolling-release distros?
                Last edited by Espionage724; 27 September 2017, 05:05 PM.

                Comment


                • #18
                  Originally posted by xpris View Post
                  Stupid decision. In my opinion they should drop 32bit after Ubuntu 17.10 and they should say - your next release is only x64bit but no... they drop it from day to day (like Unity) this is wrong in my opinion.
                  You're not paying for it.

                  Comment


                  • #19
                    Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
                    You're not paying for it.
                    His point was about the time of announcements, they just drop stuff in the middle of things, with no warning.

                    Comment


                    • #20
                      Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post
                      I personally don't hear anything about Arch Linux unless it's a meme about some random person using it, and the only thing I've heard about openSUSE TW lately was that they have an official NVIDIA GPU driver repo now, and I saw that on an article here on Phoronix.
                      Won't hear much about Arch and Tumbleweed because they just work, and just stay up to date. Hear a lot about distros with timed releases, because so many people have trouble at the same time as they struggle to upgrade. Also, those distros fall months and months behind on important packages, and then try to quickly catch up all at once.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X