Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The First Alpha Of Debian 10 "Buster" Installer

Phoronix: The First Alpha Of Debian 10 "Buster" Installer

While it will be quite some time before Debian 10 "Buster" is released, the first alpha of its installer is now available...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by GhostOfFunkS View Post
    Buster will enjoy an updated default desktop. The Debian developers are working together with the Ubuntu developers. GNOME 3.26 might be ready in Debian on release day.
    https://www.0d.be/debian/debian-gnome-3.26-status.html
    On "release day"? Gnome 3.26? You misunderstood what happened here.

This is the Alpha release of the installer, not of Debian 10, which will probably come out in 2019. By then it might be shipping with Gnome 3.30, or whatever comes out in ~October 2018.

Of course I'm only guesstimating, as dates/transitions are subject to change, and things are released "when ready".

Comment

Not really. By tradition Debian is discussed whenever the Installer news are reported.

Yeah, you are right about GNOME. The Standard Desktop will get further updates when ready. Now that Ubuntu rejoined the ranks of The Standard Desktop there will be better collaboration.
      Yo dawg, we put more Standard Desktop in your Standard Desktop so you can Standard Desktop on your Standard Desktop.

Comment

I seriously wonder why people keep using this "Standard Desktop" moniker for GNOME.

Are they intentionally trying to rile people up or are they just that caught up in the intra-community GNOME hype?

Comment

Every time you append this to anything regarding a "Standard" desktop I get so mad I want to explode.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
            I seriously wonder why people keep using this "Standard Desktop" moniker for GNOME.

Are they intentionally trying to rile people up or are they just that caught up in the intra-community GNOME hype?
            I think it's intentional. I like GNOME, but I recently made the jump to KDE and I'm liking it on openSUSE.

Comment

Soon Firefox will adopt this design as well.
              How I hate lazy fanbois like you.

For those that want to have a look at some screenshots of CSD Firefox, you can find some here in the feature tracking report https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1283299

I like its new look, finally it isn't wasting the whole top bar for nothing, but is using it for the tabs. The addon I'm using to do so (that will probably stop working in FF57), will finally rest in peace.

And yes it does work in KDE too (see screenshots and the description), because KDE can disable the title bar (now made redundant) with an option (right-click on the bar -> "more actions" -> "special application settings" -> "Appaearance and fixes" -> "no titlebar and frame").
              Last edited by starshipeleven; 03 September 2017, 04:29 PM.

Comment

... why people keep using this "Standard Desktop" moniker...
                Not people, person.

Are they intentionally trying to rile people up...?
                Yes.

Comment

It's like when USians insist on calling their archaic* system of measurement 'standard' while the rest of the world yawns :-)

*Not meaning to imply Gnome is archaic or fringe there! I try it (and others) in hope every year-or-so when I get sick of some stupid KDE decides on, but I am just too used to the way KDE arranges things, I guess.
                  Last edited by LaeMing; 03 September 2017, 06:18 PM.

Comment

CSD looks stupid though. It looks dumb, literally dumb. Like they want the the interface to look like it is a retarded version of itself. That's the impreession I get from all apps that were ported to a CSD style interface. You can tell just by comparing itself with its older self.

Comment

Working...
                    X