The First Alpha Of Debian 10 "Buster" Installer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GhostOfFunkS View Post

Not really. By tradition Debian is discussed whenever the Installer news are reported.

Yeah, you are right about GNOME. The Standard Desktop will get further updates when ready. Now that Ubuntu rejoined the ranks of The Standard Desktop there will be better collaboration.
    Oh thank god. Hopefully we'll get a standard DE again.

Comment

I dont understand why it's so hard for a desktop emvironment to come up two completely differant ways for users to interact while still doing the same job. Tiles for some, menu's for other's. Console for the rest! Not entirely sure why we are constantly pushed 'philosophies' and coca-cola-style good-feels when someone has a poorly thought-out plan to change things for the sake of the latest vibe.
      Last edited by stiiixy; 03 September 2017, 09:22 PM.
      Hi

Comment

Originally posted by LaeMing View Post

It's like when USians insist on calling their archaic* system of measurement 'standard' while the rest of the world yawns :-)

*Not meaning to imply Gnome is archaic or fringe there! I try it (and others) in hope every year-or-so when I get sick of some stupid KDE decides on, but I am just too used to the way KDE arranges things, I guess.
        Just thinking about this topic again, and I know it's off topic. We've had a similar conversation on this forum before and I think the conclusion was in my mind, that the US would have to spend tens of trillions of dollars to totally convert to a system of measurements that most americans aren't familiar with. Unlike in most other nations the US standardized systems of measurement quite a long time ago. So for us it -is- standard.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

Just thinking about this topic again, and I know it's off topic. We've had a similar conversation on this forum before and I think the conclusion was in my mind, that the US would have to spend tens of trillions of dollars to totally convert to a system of measurements that most americans aren't familiar with. Unlike in most other nations the US standardized systems of measurement quite a long time ago. So for us it -is- standard.
          One bloody air-craft carrier or helping your nation adjust to rest of the world instead of enforcing your own and making said rest of the world learn a second and third (US is differant than English Imp) systems?

Can you count to 100? Congratulations, you just learned the metric system! Now lets move forward!

And while you're at the conversion process, switch the bloody month with the day!* Yet another bizzare cultural enforcment the US places on the rest of the world.

*Why dont these forums/fora have an option to use 'proper' dating?
          Hi

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post

One bloody air-craft carrier or helping your nation adjust to rest of the world instead of enforcing your own and making said rest of the world learn a second and third (US is differant than English Imp) systems?

Can you count to 100? Congratulations, you just learned the metric system! Now lets move forward!

And while you're at the conversion process, switch the bloody month with the day!* Yet another bizzare cultural enforcment the US places on the rest of the world.

*Why dont these forums/fora have an option to use 'proper' dating?
            Then you can chalk up the trillions of dollars to retrofit everything. Go right ahead. It's all on you.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostOfFunkS View Post
              Duby229. Very good point. Deduplication should happen as soon as possible. The same goes for the linux desktop.
              you'll need to drop Gnome then seeing it was late to the party coming after KDE

Comment

Then you can chalk up the trillions of dollars to retrofit everything. Go right ahead. It's all on you.
                You obviously missed the point. I'll wait for you to cach up. And you proved another.
                Hi

Comment

Just to clarify my point - I have no problem with the US using whatever systems of measurement they like. It is the insisting on referring to it as 'standard' that twists my nose.

Ironically, the century before last, the US was very culturally progressive on such things, which is where US spellings (which, other than that s-z travesty, I prefer) comes from.

Also, I am no fan of metric units. I personally wish they had decimalised the inch as the base unit. The result would have been more human-scale friendly IMO. But that is all blather on my part, so enough for now
                  Last edited by LaeMing; 04 September 2017, 03:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
                    Gnome3 is never ready and at end of the day experienced gnome3 users are tweaking it look like Xfce. All roads lead to the Xfce look and feel, like in this tweaked kde disto.
                    You're completely delusional (which is nothing new), XFCE was actually designed to be a crippled version of GNOME(2) for low powered computers. Your favorite desktop is just a poor mans GNOME and is completely irrelevant as far as the Linux desktop goes. It's a niche desktop and it still looks like a turd.

Gnome3 is designed for retarded people by retarded people. Gnome3 is bad for the Linux community, when a user can not create a launcher to the desktop, the image of a distribution is spoiled.
                    The desktop you are so in love with is built using GTK and GNOME2 design, so who is the retard then

Comment

So the old "We cannot switch from Microsoft products due to vendor lock-in" argument. The familiar part is just a few generations away, something that is small on the civilization scale.

Comment

Working...
                      X