Manjaro Linux To Drop 32-bit Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post
    You have not provided me an example yet where fortran is a better tool than C
    You have not provided me a post where you ask for that.

For the nth time:

Fortran is for computing, it was born for that and it still does that better than C in computing. It's not obsolete. It's just specific for doing complex math.

Consider that most people writing computing programs are scientists, not programmers. Fortran is tailored for that kind of users.

Then of course a C programmer with 10 years of experience can do the same program too, and probably better, in C. Doesn't matter. The people writing in fortran are mostly scientists, not programmers.

Comment

maybe they can use that new free time to update their nvidia drivers

Comment

Originally posted by Pentarctagon View Post
        Erm... it's their distro, they can do whatever they want with it.
        Absolutely. They can go and quit altogether for all I care.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          You see NVIDIA adding Cobol to LLVM?
          Maybe they're already happy with using GNUCobol on top of LLVM, but perhaps someone will integrate Cobol into LLVM at a later time. They're not going to ask you first however. My point here still is that you lack the respect for the needs of others. You're still only saying that you don't need 32-bit and I'm getting tired of it.

Comment

Originally posted by sdack View Post
            My point here still is that you lack the respect for the needs of others.
            You didn't provide any logical, practical reason why keeping 32-bit on a PC system is required. I don't respect irrational beliefs, especially on the Internet.

You're still only saying that you don't need 32-bit and I'm getting tired of it.
            You're still only saying that you need 32-bit for no practical reason and I'm getting tired of it.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
              You didn't provide any logical, practical reason why keeping 32-bit on a PC system is required. I don't respect irrational beliefs, especially on the Internet.

You're still only saying that you need 32-bit for no practical reason and I'm getting tired of it.
              I've already told you. You just don't want to know or you didn't read it. Whatever, it's not something I need you to concern yourself with when you don't want to.

Comment

Originally posted by sdack View Post
                I've already told you.
                I know, but it was not logical nor practical reason, as I said.

Whatever, it's not something I need you to concern yourself with when you don't want to.
                But... I want to.

Comment

There's a perhaps small use case for bleeding edge distro on old PC, e.g. you have an old Pentium 4 desktop or even a 64 bit PC with 1GB RAM used for small things. You might as well run manjaroo, arch on that so you can see how the latest LXQt or GIMP look like, etc., while just running Ubuntu LTS or Debian on your main PC.

There's also VIA C7 as hardware worth running, it's slow, i686 but SSE2 and low power at least. The latter being why it's worth keeping. I wonder if there are desktops with first gen Atom, I know I'd like that (i945 graphics, two hardware threads. what do you need more?)
                  I'll acquire a broken netbook, may need to ask around, completely busted screen and keyboard will be ok if I just use USB keyb and mouse and VGA.

Technically the performance per watt must be awful next to a Haswell or Ryzen etc., just the watts when turned on and working aren't much. What's hilarious is what we use computers for has mostly not changed in 20 years : read text, write text, play audio, transfer files or data over the network..

As Arch 32bit "disappears" there's 32bit community iso from day one. It's what I expected and is a very decent arrangement, don't have i686 iso QA and validation block the main project. I'll like if i686 stays "dead" in that way. I guess we might see something similar with Ubuntu - 18.10 drops i686 but I think we'll live to see unofficial Ubuntu 20.04 iso for i686.
                  You can find even Ubuntu Mate for PowerPC Mac, even though that's been "dead" for a while. If I get an iMac G5 that what it'll see without even booting even once in the deprecated Apple OS.
                  Last edited by grok; 05 September 2017, 02:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by grok View Post
                    There's a perhaps small use case for bleeding edge distro on old PC, e.g. you have an old Pentium 4 desktop or even a 64 bit PC with 1GB RAM used for small things. You might as well run manjaroo, arch on that so you can see how the latest LXQt or GIMP look like, etc., while just running Ubuntu LTS or Debian on your main PC.
                    I thought that's what Virtualbox/VMWare are for. Their virtual 3D acceleration is still going to be faster than whatever crap GPU hardware is running in there.

There's also VIA C7 as hardware worth running, it's slow, i686 but SSE2 and low power at least. The latter being why it's worth keeping. I wonder if there are desktops with first gen Atom, I know I'd like that (i945 graphics, two hardware threads. what do you need more?)
                    A quick question, you actually tried using these devices or are you just speculating? Because they lagg-g-gg-g-g-g when doing pretty much anything with a modern distro, even with a SSD as the CPU is maxed.

I've seen them used for cash registers and similar dumb "I run a fullHD touchscreen with a 2D image of buttons" or "I run 2D console-based data entry/retrieval application", but that's the most thing they are good for (for GUI anyway).

Only way to have them run well and stay responsive is to use dedicated light distros like TinyCore or Puppy or Slitaz or even FreeDOS.

I'll acquire a broken netbook, may need to ask around, completely busted screen and keyboard will be ok if I just use USB keyb and mouse and VGA.
                    Ebay is crawling with pretty decent industrial small or mini-itx boards with n270 and n330 at bargain prices. You get more USB, gigabit eth (usually 2), more expansion, and so on.
                    Since the situation on embedded boards support is still pretty much flaming shit I've already bought batches of older x86 stuff for embedded-ish projects.

What's hilarious is what we use computers for has mostly not changed in 20 years : read text, write text, play audio, transfer files or data over the network..
                    Web browsing on modern sites. Play video files at 720p resolution without skipping frames left and right. Transfer files over faster interfaces like USB 3.0.

That's what the processors you talked about can't do, and a decent socket 775 Pentium D (far older, also 64-bit) can actually still do fine (with an addon card for USB 3.0). Power consumption is overrated and matters only for laptops (because battery). Even at full throttle that Pentium D system uses like 90W (only 10 watts more than idle!! man they're efficient), with the electrical pricing of most places it's hardly noticeable.

Comment

I have a deprecated DX11 GPU on my 64bit CPU, 64bit linux PC. With 64bit graphics memory. I can't dream of 3D graphics in Virtualbox. It's also an awesome oxymoron, deprecated DX11 GPU.

"I run a fullHD touchscreen with a 2D image of buttons"

Not surprising, an ATI Rage Pro w/ 8MB should be able to do that. There was also S3 Virge 8MB on AGP 1x (not using AGP features I presume)
                      I'm a dumb old fuck I guess, if some HTML5 thing is slow as fuck I blame it or I blame myself for running it, or I will find workarounds e.g. if I somehow need smooth youtube vids on slower than Atom I know I can achieve it with the right software. $50 phones and what not are not the only things that achieve it.

If I somehow spend 100% CPU power reading internet music on a PC dedicated to music playback I can deal with it (it happened, streaming things like deezer and soundcloud and youtube on a Pentium 3). This was when Flash was still needed and didn't require SSE2. I'm trained to fight and avoid swap hell. So five seconds of GUI lag while there are megabytes of free RAM and no sound frames are dropped don't scare me.

Comment

Working...
                      X