Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 28 Is Aiming To Be Released By Mid-May

Phoronix: Fedora 28 Is Aiming To Be Released By Mid-May

The Fedora Engineering and Steering Committee has been working to firm up the release schedule for the Fedora 28 Linux operating system update due out in Q2'2018...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I've always been a Debian/Ubuntu user, but I'm going to try running Fedora 26 for a while because I can't say I'm really impressed with the changes Ubuntu is making to my the default Gnome installation and the way they try to force Snap packages down my throat.

Comment

I so love Fedora. I'd feel very disoriented without this distribution.. I would endlessly be distrohopping from the slow world of Debian to the unpredictable and buggy world of Ubuntu's and the annoyingly ever-changing world of rolling systems. Fedora lies in that very nice spot in the middle of all this mess. I really hope that if we will ever have a standard for Linux distributions, it will be mostly modeled after Fedora. Cheers.
      Last edited by GdeR; 28 August 2017, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GdeR View Post
        I so love Fedora. I'd feel very disoriented without this distribution.. I would endlessly be distrohopping from the slow world of Debian to the unpredictable and buggy world of Ubuntu's and the annoyingly ever-changing world of rolling systems. Fedora lies in that very nice spot in the middle of all this mess. I really hope that if we will ever have a standard for Linux distributions, it will be mostly modeled after Fedora. Cheers.
        Well, talking about a standard Linux distribution, fedora is very far away from being friendly with proprietary software, so I'd be careful there. I think a good balance is what makes a good distro, and Fedora feels very biased towards free software only. I agree though that debian/ubuntu is not doing a great work lately, and also agree that Fedora is an awesome super stable distro, nonetheless, I think distros like manjaro/mint are becoming the next standard balanced distros.

Comment

Fedora 28 in December 2018 confirmed.

Comment

Originally posted by SWY1985 View Post
            I've always been a Debian/Ubuntu user, but I'm going to try running Fedora 26 for a while because I can't say I'm really impressed with the changes Ubuntu is making to my the default Gnome installation and the way they try to force Snap packages down my throat.
            I never like Ubuntu myself. It just had that air of self importance that felt a bit like thumbing their noses at the rest of the community.

As for Fedora; well here is the problem, some of the software I want to run, (LinuxCNC), runs via a dedicated Ubuntu distro. Fedora does have a flavor that kinds says test platform for RedHat but that is far less of an issue of late. I'd say give it a try or one of its derivatives.

Comment

Originally posted by GdeR View Post
              It's a matter of taste, to me Ubuntu looks like the reasonable middle ground. And I'm sure OpenSuse is some else's. And that's ok, that's the whole reason we're all using Linux instead of other OSes that shall remain unnamed

Comment

I do use Fedora as my main distro, but I have some desires myself, I hope Fedora try to be more proprietary friendly in future, that they try to become more up to date with last qt versions and that dnf evolve more (there is unnecessary redownload of metadata in many use cases).

Comment

Originally posted by trivialfis
                  One more thing to note about is that Fedora will use Flatpak for all graphical apps starting from 27, which might not come into your favour:

Another layer...cheers
                  Your link says otherwise...
                  This change is to enable package maintainers to build Flatpaks of their applications and make those Flatpaks available for installation.
                  Rpm packages will still be primary source of software. The issue you are talking about was mentioned as a possibility for a discussion, but it is not decided on yet.

Comment

Working...
                  X