System76's Pop!_OS Not Using Wayland By Default, Figuring Out Default Apps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• System76's Pop!_OS Not Using Wayland By Default, Figuring Out Default Apps

Phoronix: System76's Pop!_OS Not Using Wayland By Default, Figuring Out Default Apps

System76 continues working on their Ubuntu fork called Pop!_OS that they intend to ship on their future laptops and desktops. They have now decided on some of the default applications as well as the decision to not yet ship Wayland by default...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Do System76's customers have such low standards that they don't mind tearing in scrolling, video playback, etc.?

Comment

Been using Ubuntu for ages and haven't noticed any tearing while scrolling or video playback for years. Not sure what you are talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
        Do System76's customers have such low standards that they don't mind tearing in scrolling, video playback, etc.?
        Believe it or not, but it's actually possible to not get tearing in xorg.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
          I don't know how the rumor got spread that x11 inherently tears, but desktop linux would truly be in a sorry state if this was the case.
          I personally have never seen any tearing using gnome or kde on AMD or intel GPUs. Well maybe fullscreen firefox videos, but that's a bug you can work around by setting layers.acceleration.force-enabled = true.

Comment

Unfortunately many people talk without knowing .... they are years that I no longer tearing in Linux with Xorg.

Comment

What a terrible name.

Comment

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                while the Wayland session will jhust be optional.
                Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                Additionallym they have decided they will not be shipping

Comment

A good call. I bet new users will be very confused when they run TeamSpeak 3 for example and try to use their mapped shortcuts for muting microphones for example, only to find out it doesn't work.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post
                    Unfortunately many people talk without knowing .... they are years that I no longer tearing in Linux with Xorg.
                    same here

Comment

Working...
                    X