Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ThanosApostolou
    replied
    Hibbelharry Just an update, it seems that status icons will be supported with the "Topicons" extension according to this: https://blogs.gnome.org/aday/2017/08...ons-and-gnome/ (TopIcons Plus wasn't working last time I checked but I guess it will be updated after the 3.26 release). So, I will give Gnome another try when the final release is out.

Leave a comment:

• Flaburgan
    replied
    Well, I think for the first time I will not update Ubuntu to the next release, and see what happens in the following months. I'll see if I upgrade to 18.04. I'll stick with Unity anyway.

Leave a comment:

• GizmoChicken
    replied
    Originally posted by ThanosApostolou View Post
    MATE can be an alternative for Unity users, because it has Compiz support and the Mutiny panel layout with global menu support (it will be a bit uglier than unity, but lighter on resources). If I were you, I would choose MATE over Unity any time. MATE has a few rough edges (mostly visual/design stuff) but it is really stable and it gets a bit better every time (although not fast enough, which is why I want to try something more modern like Budgie or KDE).
    Yep, I've tried Ubuntu MATE, along with many other possibilities, as a replacement for Unity7 on Ubuntu. But for whatever reason, although Unity7 isn't perfect, I always return to it. For me, "it just works" (most of the time).

But at some point (probably in a year or two, when Wayland has had more time to mature), I'll probably switch to something else. Who knows what will be available then.

If I were forced to switch today, openSUSE Tumbleweed would a top choice for me. Or, if I were to stick to an Ubuntu base, Kubuntu and Ubuntu Budgie would be top choices. Ubuntu MATE is also tempting.

But I'm really looking forward to Budgie 11 (Qt-based), and I hope that I'll be able to stick with Unity7 on Ubuntu until Budgie 11 has been released, is stable, and preferably has Wayland support.

Leave a comment:

• ThanosApostolou
    replied
    Originally posted by GizmoChicken View Post

Have you tried Unity7 on Artful?

I've never been a fan of unity, mostly because I believe that compiz is really broken (it has given me more headaches than any other window manager). That's why even with MATE I use xfwm4, because it has corner tiling and allows you to resize windows after tiling (which marco doesn't). MATE can be an alternative for Unity users, because it has Compiz support and the Mutiny panel layout with global menu support (it will be a bit uglier than unity, but lighter on resources). If I were you, I would choose MATE over Unity any time. MATE has a few rough edges (mostly visual/design stuff) but it is really stable and it gets a bit better every time (although not fast enough, which is why I want to try something more modern like Budgie or KDE).

Actually, I haven't been a fan of Ubuntu in general lately (using manjaro most of the times and I'm thinking of giving Solus a try), but I believed that Gnome+Wayland could change that... I was totally wrong :P

Leave a comment:

• GizmoChicken
    replied
    Originally posted by ThanosApostolou View Post
    That's it for me. I'll never use Gnome again. I'll try to experiment with Budgie and if I don't like it I'll stick with MATE or give KDE another try.
    Have you tried Unity7 on Artful?

sudo apt install unity

Unity7 likely won't be receiving new features. But I've been testing Unity7 on Artful, and so far, it seems to be receiving minor updates and bug fixes.

Hopefully, Unity7 will continue to receive such minor updates and bug fixes at least through 18.04, which will give me and my fellow Unity7 refugees a little more time to find a new home.

Leave a comment:

• mbohun
    replied
    "Awful Awkward"

fixed.

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post

I do think that i.e 3.22 is the latest release of gedit.
    It seems you are right.
    An easy-to-use and general-purpose text editor since 1998

3.22.1 seems to be latest gedit release.

Leave a comment:

• Jedibeeftrix
    replied
    come back in april 2018 for the fully baked version...

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by eydee View Post
    True for almost all distros, except for the ultra-stable ones that ship with everything from 1995.
    bullshit.

Leave a comment:

• eydee
    replied
    Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
    a distro to not use, only for tests, for such change it will be a nightmare
    True for almost all distros, except for the ultra-stable ones that ship with everything from 1995.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X