Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 17.10 Enters The Feature Freeze

Phoronix: Ubuntu 17.10 Enters The Feature Freeze

Ubuntu 17.10, the Artful Aardvark, has crossed into the feature freeze this week...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Some GNOME packages are 3.25 (development version for 3.26).
    But many packages are still stuck at 3.22 and 3.24, like gnome-shell (3.24), gnome-terminal (3.24) and gedit (3.22).

Comment

Most of them (if not all of them) are at the gnome staging ppa (https://launchpad.net/~gnome3-team/+..._filter=artful), including the new settings app. I just added this ppa and I didn't notice any additional problems (I have artful-proposed repository enabled too).

However, there are many problems still. Many extensions don't work properly in Ubuntu session, while they work fine in Gnome session (like Shelltile). I'm really disappointed since I realised that systray is not supported at all in Gnome anymore. The Ubuntu session has support for appindicator (that will do the trick for icons like dropbox, but there are many applications which don't have indicator support either).

That's it for me. I'll never use Gnome again. I'll try to experiment with Budgie and if I don't like it I'll stick with MATE or give KDE another try.

Comment

Originally posted by ThanosApostolou View Post
        I'm really disappointed since I realised that systray is not supported at all in Gnome anymore.
        I don't think thats right.

Comment

Originally posted by ThanosApostolou View Post
          Most of them (if not all of them) are at the gnome staging ppa (https://launchpad.net/~gnome3-team/+..._filter=artful), including the new settings app. I just added this ppa and I didn't notice any additional problems (I have artful-proposed repository enabled too).

However, there are many problems still. Many extensions don't work properly in Ubuntu session, while they work fine in Gnome session (like Shelltile). I'm really disappointed since I realised that systray is not supported at all in Gnome anymore. The Ubuntu session has support for appindicator (that will do the trick for icons like dropbox, but there are many applications which don't have indicator support either).

That's it for me. I'll never use Gnome again. I'll try to experiment with Budgie and if I don't like it I'll stick with MATE or give KDE another try.
          Are the only problems that you've noticed related to app indicators?

I'm considering trying out Artful before release; indicators aren't really a concern to me

Comment

Originally posted by Hibbelharry View Post

I don't think thats right.
            Well the bottom left pull-out arrow (or however it's called) is not there after the gnome-shell 3.25.x update. Then I found this: https://www.reddit.com/r/gnome/comme...of_the_legacy/, so I believe it is true and it is not a bug. Topicons plus don't work on latest gnome yet, but the maintainer (first comment on reddit question) said that he will probably make it work but after september.

Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post

Are the only problems that you've noticed related to app indicators?
            Well I wasn't really pleased from the first time that I installed artful (about 2 weeks ago) so I haven't really used it. The Ubuntu session seems to have problems (like the extensions which don't work) and some instability issues yet. However, the vanilla Gnome session seems pretty solid, even for daily use (again I haven't used it except for testing it every couple days).

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              Some GNOME packages are 3.25 (development version for 3.26).
              But many packages are still stuck at 3.22 and 3.24, like gnome-shell (3.24), gnome-terminal (3.24) and gedit (3.22).
              I do think that i.e 3.22 is the latest release of gedit.

Comment

Super super excited. But probably won't touch it until December. I'll stick with 17.04 and let the REAL beta test (general release) commence and find out what goes BOOM!

Comment

a distro to not use, only for tests, for such change it will be a nightmare

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
                    a distro to not use, only for tests, for such change it will be a nightmare
                    True for almost all distros, except for the ultra-stable ones that ship with everything from 1995.

Comment

Working...
                    X