Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 17.10 Enters The Feature Freeze

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Ubuntu 17.10 Enters The Feature Freeze

    Phoronix: Ubuntu 17.10 Enters The Feature Freeze

    Ubuntu 17.10, the Artful Aardvark, has crossed into the feature freeze this week...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...Feature-Freeze

  • #2
    Some GNOME packages are 3.25 (development version for 3.26).
    But many packages are still stuck at 3.22 and 3.24, like gnome-shell (3.24), gnome-terminal (3.24) and gedit (3.22).

    Comment


    • #3
      Most of them (if not all of them) are at the gnome staging ppa (https://launchpad.net/~gnome3-team/+..._filter=artful), including the new settings app. I just added this ppa and I didn't notice any additional problems (I have artful-proposed repository enabled too).

      However, there are many problems still. Many extensions don't work properly in Ubuntu session, while they work fine in Gnome session (like Shelltile). I'm really disappointed since I realised that systray is not supported at all in Gnome anymore. The Ubuntu session has support for appindicator (that will do the trick for icons like dropbox, but there are many applications which don't have indicator support either).

      That's it for me. I'll never use Gnome again. I'll try to experiment with Budgie and if I don't like it I'll stick with MATE or give KDE another try.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by ThanosApostolou View Post
        I'm really disappointed since I realised that systray is not supported at all in Gnome anymore.
        I don't think thats right.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by ThanosApostolou View Post
          Most of them (if not all of them) are at the gnome staging ppa (https://launchpad.net/~gnome3-team/+..._filter=artful), including the new settings app. I just added this ppa and I didn't notice any additional problems (I have artful-proposed repository enabled too).

          However, there are many problems still. Many extensions don't work properly in Ubuntu session, while they work fine in Gnome session (like Shelltile). I'm really disappointed since I realised that systray is not supported at all in Gnome anymore. The Ubuntu session has support for appindicator (that will do the trick for icons like dropbox, but there are many applications which don't have indicator support either).

          That's it for me. I'll never use Gnome again. I'll try to experiment with Budgie and if I don't like it I'll stick with MATE or give KDE another try.
          Are the only problems that you've noticed related to app indicators?

          I'm considering trying out Artful before release; indicators aren't really a concern to me

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Hibbelharry View Post

            I don't think thats right.
            Well the bottom left pull-out arrow (or however it's called) is not there after the gnome-shell 3.25.x update. Then I found this: https://www.reddit.com/r/gnome/comme...of_the_legacy/, so I believe it is true and it is not a bug. Topicons plus don't work on latest gnome yet, but the maintainer (first comment on reddit question) said that he will probably make it work but after september.



            Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post

            Are the only problems that you've noticed related to app indicators?
            Well I wasn't really pleased from the first time that I installed artful (about 2 weeks ago) so I haven't really used it. The Ubuntu session seems to have problems (like the extensions which don't work) and some instability issues yet. However, the vanilla Gnome session seems pretty solid, even for daily use (again I haven't used it except for testing it every couple days).

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              Some GNOME packages are 3.25 (development version for 3.26).
              But many packages are still stuck at 3.22 and 3.24, like gnome-shell (3.24), gnome-terminal (3.24) and gedit (3.22).
              I do think that i.e 3.22 is the latest release of gedit.

              Comment


              • #8
                Super super excited. But probably won't touch it until December. I'll stick with 17.04 and let the REAL beta test (general release) commence and find out what goes BOOM!

                Comment


                • #9
                  a distro to not use, only for tests, for such change it will be a nightmare

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
                    a distro to not use, only for tests, for such change it will be a nightmare
                    True for almost all distros, except for the ultra-stable ones that ship with everything from 1995.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X