No announcement yet.

Ubuntu Dock Now Present By Default In Ubuntu 17.10's GNOME Session

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok guys, we made it to the 10th page, there's nothing more to see here.

There's new thread available so don't keep him busy with pointless rational arguments here.
    It's about time we relocated already.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostOfFunkS View Post
      As expected no valid points raised why the alternative compositors still lack production quality.
      When you're the one determining what constitutes "valid" and "production quality", and do so in a way that's totally biased and sometimes downright nonsensical and changes often (which is called "moving the goal posts"), no wonder you'll get your expected outcome. Anything that doesn't lead to that expected outcome simply gets classified as "not valid" and problem solved, expected outcome restored.

Of course that doesn't mean there actually weren't valid points raised, it simply means you've run out of arguments and have resorted to the "well, you're still all wrong and I'm still right!" tantrum.

Comment

Gusar. Umm the points are not valid because none of them hinders development. Missing specs? Write them. Missing code? Write it.

Hell, they can even copy or fork working code.
        Do you know anything about software engineering?

Comment

Yes. That is why Im asking. Talk is cheap, show me the code.
          Giving your history its safe to say no. Your the one making the assumptions, the burden is on you to back it up.

Comment

Gusar. Umm the points are not valid because none of them hinders development.
            Perfect example of "I'll just declare it not valid". Yes, they actually do hinder development. If you can't see how, that's *your* shortcoming, see bellow.

Missing specs? Write them.
            Yeah, just like that, "write them". Sure. Who needs things like peer review (to make sure the spec is well written, that it doesn't have any omissions or undetermined behavior, that it's free of ambiguities, that it's actually implementable without jumping through hoops), or consensus of the broader community, or willingness from different parties to accept and implement the spec, and such. Who needs that when you can just "write them"

Missing code? Write it.
            Yeah, just like that, "write it". Sure. Even though behaviors are under-specified (there's ambiguities or other kinds of lack of clarity) or even completely not specified at all, even though documentation might be lacking, even though certain APIs might be too tied to a specific vendor implementation and as such supporting said API in an alternative implementation is difficult if not impossible. Nah, these things don't hinder development, you just "write it"

Hell, they can even copy or fork working code.
            If the above was not enough, this one shows you actually have no clue about programming at all. Anyone shocked at that revelation?

Comment

Gusar. Code and specs can be reviewed by those who cares. kde, mint, sway, devuan, yunit, mir, startup, openrc, gentoo and slackware together. Im sure such a band of highly esteemed hackers can sit down by the bon fire, share some bourbon and flesh out very nice specs and code. It might even work on frebsd. So much potential!

Sadly they have come up with nothing. Yet.
              Are you for real?

Comment

Gusar. Code and specs can be reviewed by those who cares. kde, mint, sway, devuan, yunit, mir, startup, openrc, gentoo and slackware together. Im sure such a band of highly esteemed hackers can sit down by the bon fire, share some bourbon and flesh out very nice specs and code. It might even work on frebsd. So much potential!
                My point, which you of course totally glossed over, is that these things aren't a simple matter of "just write it", they take effort. Effort which hinders development. Nothing you wrote here negates that point, making it a *valid* one, contrary to your original claim that it isn't valid.

Sadly they have come up with nothing. Yet.
                You were a few pages back given a small set of contributions to Wayland from sway developers. KDE wrote a server-side decoration spec. Which sway implemented. That's quite some "nothing", I must say.

Just give up already. Or don't, this is fun, watching you get pwned more and more. I can't continue right now though, I'm going to a football match (for the USians here - I mean *real* football, what you call "soccer"), it's a chance for our team to enter the Champions League again. So we'll have to continue this dance later. If I'm in the mood.

Comment

Gusar. There is nothing holding the alternative teams back!
                  Nothing, except all the things I listed. See what I mean by "well, you're still all wrong and I'm still right!" tantrums?

And no, you did not give any commits. Patches dumped in a mailing list is not commits specific related to developers working on alternative implementations.
                  Oh, so now only commits count. See what I mean by "moving the goalposts" and reclassifying things as not valid when they don't fit your expected outcome?

Comment

The patches might need review by all the smart people. A rewrite in C++ might also be a good idea. Add some integration tools written in perl and build it with cmake. Might even target NEON!!
                    I could write some retort here, butt...

a) I'm quite drunk

b) our team made the Champions League!!!

c) I have to be at work in three hours. Sleep? Who needs sleep! Though I better set three alarm clocks, just to be sure

Ok, here's a valid retort: Now you're just throwing random sentences around, that make no sense. Which is the only course of action you have left after you've been thoroughly and completely pwned.

(holy shiznit, Firefox's spellchecker doesn't consider pwned a misspelling!! now I've seen everything....)
                    Last edited by Gusar; 22 August 2017, 08:50 PM.

Comment

Sure. There is so much potential here. Smart guys with proven track records of alternative implementations all over the stack.
                      On a positive note, that also includes a whole bunch of non-GNOME folks. Its nice to see you are finally brown noising other people as well.

Comment

Working...
                      X