Ubuntu Dock Now Present By Default In Ubuntu 17.10's GNOME Session

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GhostOfFunkS View Post

There is no API. There is code to manipulate. What you are looking for is session supported extensions and QA. Read the 5 blogs in its entirety and you will understand. GNOME and Canonical just solved that problem.
    I know, I know... I created some extensions. And that's the problem: when the base code is modified from a version to another, your extension can fail because it is trying to inserting an element where now is nothing. I had to fight that several times every time a new version of Gnome Shell was launched. That's why I ask for something more stable like an API.

Comment

If you know this then you should NOT call it an API. In case you want the GS code to be static then you can just stay at whatever release point you fancy. It might be moving too fast for you but most extensions and now sessions keep up.
      So now you, somebody who's clearly never worked on Gnome or any of its extensions, are going to tell somebody who has done so how they should do things? Just cause a lot of people are forced to fix Gnome's lack of stability in non major versions on their end by redoing their work doesn't seem it's the right thing to do. You even suggested that they should refrain from supporting newer point releases... This is exactly why they're point releases, they're not supposed to break compatibility time and again.

I believe Gnome devs themselves have agreed this is a major issue and have been working on it for a while. I most likely read it in one of the blog posts arcticle-fied here, but don't quote me on this as you're most likely going to request some handsigned oath from them or something of that sort.

Regarding the guy who requested a ban on you:
      1) He probably insulted more than a single forum member and that's part of the problem
      2) You constantly go off-topic with your hatred towards anything on Wayland threads
      3) I believe trolling and using multiple accounts are both against the rules?

I'm not saying you should be banned, but please just tone it down a bit so we don't get fed up and quit replying to your troll-baits altogether.

edit: I now realize I too am getting off-topic and won't keep this up
      Last edited by kon14; 19 August 2017, 12:02 PM.

Comment

Charlie68. Are you aware of how QT just keeps regressing on Wayland support?
        Ever since the passage to Wayland has become urgent and who has decided it? There are problems and solutions, but there is no hurry and I do not understand all this frenzy. There are other DEs that will spend a long time before coming to Wayland, Xfce for example .... why is it suddenly urgent to go to Wayland?

Comment

Jumping in late.
          Most Ubuntu users are probably unexperienced Linux users that don't come to forums and don't have much to complain about, they just use it and are a majority without even knowing it. When Gnome becomes the standard for them (17.10 or 18.04), they will be disoriented by the change and this might help them make the leap. Hence, it is a good thing Ubuntu has tweaked Gnome's interface to soften the transition, although it might not be enough.

Gnome Shell is a good backup solution considering the decisions made by Canonical. In any case, it will be quite a big transition for everyone Probably some will get used to it, but some will just run away from it.

For the people whose workflow/leisureflow Unity is a perfect fit with, even if Gnome Shell with a dozen extensions can finally approximate it and give sort of a similar experience, it still doesn't feel anywhere near as good a workflow/leisureflow as in Unity.

Which is my problem. I've never enjoyed KDE nor MATE nor Cinnamon, and I feel limited pretty quickly with XFCE or LXDE for my use, meaning Gnome is my only fallback.
          But it feels like going back from a Bentley to a Dacia. I will still be able to get my workflow/leisureflow going, but stripped down to its most basic functions.
          I have a Unity-like tweaked Manjaro with Gnome on the side to prepare myself for 17.10, yet I have no clue what the hell I'm gonna do with regard to DE when Artful is out, as Gnome Shell is a complete disappointment (to me). And I'm prepared for it. Thus I can only imagine the reactions of those who won't be.
          Last edited by Mez'; 19 August 2017, 03:56 PM.

Comment

I love all the reinventing the wheel of the dock that we invented and released for NeXTSTEP in 1989. Imagine if the original MECCA Openstep 4 was released with the Shelf instead of being scrubbed by Steve. The number of clones that would have produced.

Comment

Most urgently: Security.
              Strange, everyone says Gnu / Linux is very safe, far more than Windows and other operating systems! I'm aware of security issues with Xorg but I've never heard of "do not use Linux because it's not safe" so all this hurry is not justified. Otherwise, tell the companies that use Gnu / linux is not safe, say it even from Red Hat.
              I am happy that there will be distributions that use it by default so that so many bugs will be fixed. When I'm really ready I'll use it!

Comment

Originally posted by tegs View Post
                I'd like them to do something about that ugly black bar up top. Add some color variation or transparency.
                Yep they have in Gnome 3.26.

Comment

As we a dealing with Griffin aka GhostOfFunkS

Everyone knows that debianxfce knows better, you should be running a 1kHz kernel with debian and XFCE
                  Gnome and Ubuntu can't handle the awesomeness of debian, they are bastard childs of a fork of the only original distro, named to honor his once darling girlfriend

Comment

Yeah Pawlerson. We got the same results. Very few recent bug reports on memory leaks. Thanks for proving my point.

Oh and please keep up the good work on your circle jerk narrative. It is quite funny..
                    If six years old bugs aren't fixed why would anyone bother to post another bug report about the same problem? Furthermore, all of them are recent, since none of them is fixed. You just won idiot of the year price. Oh, and I showed you very recent huge memory leak problem: 1.3GB and groooowiing! While KDE keeps at 670MB. Don't expect I report this. Maybe when you blow your stupid head up. Ps. memory leaks make Gnome very insecure and unstable.
                    Last edited by Guest; 20 August 2017, 04:35 AM.

Comment

Oh the old 'Linux is secure and stable' narrative. Haven't heard that in a decade. Here is a clue for you, it's neither secure or stable. Ego driven development will always add more unaudited code, more compromises, redundant or even conflicting design. Worst part you haven't even acknowledged the problem.

In a way you are also a victim and I feel sorry for you. kde failed to inform you about the severe security problems on X while individual kde developers do warn about it.

Do you want my help to dig out the warnings that kde failed to inform you?
                      It seems you're not aware insecure parts of X are disabled? Linux is super stable and secure in comparison to others. Maybe except with Gnome which suffered from many security problems in the past.

Comment

Working...
                      X