No announcement yet.

Ubuntu Dock Now Present By Default In Ubuntu 17.10's GNOME Session

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On old-ish, lower-resource PCs, I have found Solus+MATE an excellent combination. Solus is optimized to be fast (I believe ikey is dogfooding on old netbook-class hardware) and MATE is, well, MATE.

It'd be cute if MATE adopts MIR for Wayland support. Things would've truly come full circle.

Oh, wait, this thread was about Ubuntu and something something dark side? Carry on then.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostOfFunkS View Post
      Any specific bugs affecting 3.26?
      "Gnome" for one. In all seriousness, whether people like or don't like something is up to them ta decide.
      The thing that annoys the crap out of everyone is how you fail to take notice in any opinion that accuses gnome of being anything but the perfect "Standard Linux Desktop" you so much desire to see it become (spoiler: it is not).

He just mentioned something he doesn't quite like about Gnome: being a resource hog. You may not wish to hear it, but that's the way it is and KDE used to be on the same boat too. There's nothing wrong with accepting one shortcoming when there are other things to rompensate for it. Believe it or not, finding a specific bug id related to undocumented performance issues (not regressions) is pretty hard, mostry cause it's still "undocumented".

You always seem to request proof regarding everything being posted, even though you're the one denying others' opinions, without ever linking to contradictory info yourself. You always read a situation any way that suits you and try to make a public statement out of it denying the most obvious of problems.

Even though I don't particularly like Gnome and do despise Gnome devs' ideology, I do believe Gnome has a few good things going for it, like decent Wayland support (even thouguh they certainly don't help make Wayland a better place) and a good ui for beginners or people who wish to work on stuff unrelated to their system out of the box ani I certainly do mention these while discussing. Your lack of confidence in Gnome is what's most likely causing you to shitpost about it and stain Gnome's image on this community. I wish you'd just enjoy your DE of choice for once and help make it better instead of undervaluing others' efforts, anonymously, online.

Comment

I'd like them to do something about that ugly black bar up top. Add some color variation or transparency.

Comment

Kon14. Lots of words bug no reference to bug reports. As expected. The thing is that Mutter had a lot of rewrites for 3.26. Some performance related. So bugs have disappeared and new ones discovered. What Im asking for is quantitative data instead of circle jerk narratives that might or might not hold any truth.

I did a few lookups in the GNOME bug database. Nothing serious shows up on recent GS and Mutter.
          Maybe nobody cares? KDE: 670MB. Gnome: 1.2GB and growing, because of memory leaks. Furthermore, I mentioned Files performance problem. I don't care if there are bug reports or not, because I know Gnome didn't fix memory leaks since years. If they don't give a shit I don't care either. Ps. it seems you don't even know how to search bugtracker:

Last edited by Guest; 19 August 2017, 09:08 AM.

Comment

Kon14. Lots of words bug no reference to bug reports. As expected. The thing is that Mutter had a lot of rewrites for 3.26. Some performance related. So bugs have disappeared and new ones discovered. What Im asking for is quantitative data instead of circle jerk narratives that might or might not hold any truth.
            "As expected", you either don't know how to read or choose not to do so. You completely ignored my comment regarding bug reports.

Mutter getting rewrites for 3.26, and therefore the possibility of regressions sneacking in, is completely irrelevant since performance has been ridiculous for a long while. I hope they fixed some of the leaks/hogs in 3.26 but I haven't personally tried it other than a 5min demo on a pal's laptop so I won't express an opinion on it.

I found the part regarding unbacked opinions no be extremely amusing.

Comment

Talk about Wayland but do you realize how many problems need to be resolved yet? It's not a qt problem! The problem is that there is no distribution in the world that sends Wayland without an Xorg session. Xorg will remain for at least 10 years yet and wayland risks not even being taken into account by some distro. So Kde takes all the time it needs to have a session that works correctly with Wayland, it's pointless to make Gnome a Wayland buggy session!

Comment

What Im asking for is quantitative data instead of circle jerk narratives that might or might not hold any truth.
                This from someone whose entire contribution to these forums has been one giant Gnome circle jerk.

Hilarious.

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
                  something usable without need to install dozens of extensions
                  imho, using Gnome without extensions is like playing Skyrim with no mods (aka: you're doing it wrong)

Comment

Michael, can we just get GhostOfFunks, aka 'Griffin', banned already. He's obviously someone with mental issues.

Comment

Charlie68. Are you aware of how QT just keeps regressing on Wayland support?
                      Nice try . Sailfish OS is doin' just fine. Not mentioning Samsung Tizen

Comment

Working...
                      X