• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can see some people will need this command to Make Ubuntu Usable AgainĀ®:

Code:
    sudo apt install gnome-session-flashback

Comment

Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post
      On topic I do hope that it will be possible to move the min/max/close buttons to the left side as it's been in Unity. The odd times when I have to navigate a Windows system it feels outright awkward to go to the right side to close a window.
      you can do this by:
      Code:
      gsettings set  org.gnome.desktop.wm.preferences button-layout 'close,minimize,maximize:'
      and in budgie-desktop is even easier and better, so there is no problem for canonical.

Btw, this "activities" button with ubu-panel is so awkward.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostOfFunkS View Post
        1) According to the Ubuntu developers the desktop team is kept about the size as in the Unity8 days. They just happened to switch technology and become much more productive.
        Well, that's true in a trivial kind of way. When Unity was a thing, the Canonical Desktop Team consisted of a handful of developers who tweaked Gnome applications to work on Ubuntu. Now, after amputating about a third of its workforce the Canonical Desktop Team is still the same handful of developers, plus one or two others, who tweak Gnome applications, including Gnome Shell, to work on Ubuntu.
        2) GNOME is by far the most used desktop. And it happens to be default on all distributions that matters these days
        Again, true in a trivial kind of way in that the Unity 7 shell ran on top of the Gnome Desktop Environment. Ubuntu and Unity runs on more desktops out there than all other distros combined, so if you're implying that Gnome Shell is any kind of de facto standard default, you're simply talking out of your ass and it's a little dribbly. Although there is some room for ambiguity, your juxtaposition of assertions implies that is what you're arguing.

Comment

All I can say to this thread so far: I love the quality of trolling on this forum! Or maybe you're just all immature bitches who can't tolerate opposing views. I dunno. To us old-timers it's pretty transparent who the trolls are, and whom they are trolling for (so to speak), but for noobs this whole thing must be unbelievably confusing. Fun times!

FWIW: I use KDE, but I don't have anything against GNOME per se. It just isn't for me, I think -- I just want more user-facing configurability and good engineering. I mean, I'm envious of proper Wayland support, but KDE are taking their time and actually doing it right.

(Can you spot the trolling in my comment, perchance? It was all in jest, I assure you!)

Comment

They're getting there. Only thing left to do is removing Gnome.

Comment

I'm still using Mate and i think i will do it for a long time, beacuse i'm used to the gnome2/mate workflow, why change something that works but nice to see ubuntu's implenation of gnome3 anyhow

Comment

1) According to the Ubuntu developers the desktop team is kept about the size as in the Unity8 days. They just happened to switch technology and become much more productive.

2) GNOME is by far the most used desktop. And it happens to be default on all distributions that matters these days
                the most used DE is unity not gnome shell, gnome vanilla is complety stupid, is nothing only a top bar without use

Comment

maybe canonical and ubuntu community make gnome shell a good thing, something RH and gnome devs can't do in almost 8 years, something usable without need to install dozens of extensions

Comment

I'll just leave this right here:

Statistics generated from the users of the GamingOnLinux website

Comment

Of the top 35 distros on DistroWatch, only 5 or 6 default to Gnome. I use Gnome and like it. But most people are probably using something else.

Comment

Working...
                      X