Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solus 3 Linux Distribution Released For Enthusiasts

Phoronix: Solus 3 Linux Distribution Released For Enthusiasts

Today marks the third iteration of the rolling-release Solus Linux distribution project that has become increasingly popular with enthusiasts and is also aligned with their own Budgie Desktop Environment...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
    For enthusiasts??? Budgie desktop is a memory hog, the distro uses about 800MB of ram after boot. Firefox requires pulseaudio, Chrome/Chromium is much better because it works with alsa and can use all cpu cores for video rendering.
    Here we go again. OK so on a fresh Solus 3 Budgie install in Qemu I'm seeing 629MB of memory usage. Now, if I disable Nautilus desktop icons and remove evolution-data-server (which in turn removes gnome-calendar) that drops to around 550MB. If I switch from Adapta/Papirus to say, Arc/Moka, that's another significant reduction in memory usage.

Long story short, Budgie itself is **not** heavy. Ancillary GNOME parts are. Also, using memory isn't actually a sin. I'm talking about total system memory usage here btw, the core budgie processes barely cut past 100MB usage. Personally I'm happy having a responsive OS with actual features, and not a fear of using the memory I actually paid for when I bought my system.

Comment

For enthusiasts??? Budgie desktop is a memory hog, the distro uses about 800MB of ram after boot. Firefox requires pulseaudio, Chrome/Chromium is much better because it works with alsa and can use all cpu cores for video rendering.
      The whole desktop using 800MB of RAM is too much, but a Chrome taking 2GB only for itself isn't?

Comment

Originally posted by agaman View Post
        The whole desktop using 800MB of RAM is too much, but a Chrome taking 2GB only for itself isn't?
        we found why he needs a so light desktop.

He must provide MORE RAM FOR THE CHROME GOD.

Comment

I get why people want less memory used but IKEY is right. I got 20 GB of RAM, in linux I will never get to use it all (this is not a complaint but it feels like a damn shame that I don't because it's money gone to the drainer.. in a certain way), and "how dare a distro use 800MB of RAM" is your big complaint? I mean not to be a jerk but last time I check if a distro desktop uses less than 1 GB or RAM it is still an awesome one (no matter how many desktops and/or distros uses less). As long as it's more efficient than Windows, Open Source and helps the community/others it's going to be awesome/great/the best distro ever.

Shish, I get criticism about certain things but people always seem to criticize crap that circulate about themselves instead of constructive criticism to help out the community.

---
          Actual Message:

All in all, good work Ikey (for you, your team and community) on all the progress you've done, I'll look forward to what you guys will do next.

Comment

You can always try the MATE version and see if that works better for you.

Comment

Even though we have a lot of memory today, we don't have to be wasteful with it.
              Not every user has 20GB RAM. There are a lot of people who have only 8GB or less.
              I was quite shocked when I tested Fedora 26 recently. It used over 1GB of RAM after a fresh boot.
              That's pretty much, even for Gnome, especially compared to KDE5 on Arch...

Edit: I didn't want to say that Solus is wasteful :-)
              Last edited by theghost; 15 August 2017, 10:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tegs View Post

You can always try the MATE version and see if that works better for you.
                He won't. He uses only Debian Testing with XFCE because of a curse that runs through his family.

Comment

Originally posted by theghost View Post
                  Even though we have a lot of memory today, we don't have to be wasteful with it.
                  Not every user has 20GB RAM. There are a lot of people who have only 8GB or less.
                  I was quite shocked when I tested Fedora 26 recently. It used over 1GB of RAM after a fresh boot.
                  That's pretty much, even for Gnome, especially compared to KDE5 on Arch...
                  1GB is around the Windows idle RAM usage on 2+ GB systems, btw.

GNOME: making Linux Windows Again.

Comment

I just started the iso download on my home desktop, I'm looking forward to finally trying this out on something bigger than my laptop.

Comment

Working...
                    X