Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• grok
    replied
    What the fuck is wrong with you bunch of ass cracks?

Would be nice though, if you have e.g. an Athlon 64 with 1GB ddr1, 64bit quad core Atom with 2GB RAM etc. if you were able to install a variant that gives you a 64bit kernel and a 100% or 99.9% 32bit user environment.

I guess that isn't being announced but well if you have 1GB ddr1 on two ddr1 slots and can't really upgrade even though the CPU etc. is still current enough you should be running lxde and 32bit to free up as much RAM as possible.

Otherwise well yes if the kernel is "maintained" but won't be a month from now or whenever and you're running a 6-month distro it's obvious this has no future! If there isn't unofficial/community to make up for it for an old laptop or whatever it is entirely obvious you'll have to change distro eventually, be it for slackware, ubuntu 18.04, debian, pclinuxos, netbsd or other.

Leave a comment:

• GdeR
    replied
    Originally posted by nanonyme View Post

Did you actually read the thread? They're getting built, yes, but they do not have a maintainer and they get limited amount of testing. Unless they get a volunteer soon, the 32bit kernels are basically guaranteed to be gone from Fedora in future releases
    And I said that for now Fedora 32-bit can still be installed, while this is not guaranteed in the future. What's wrong with you? Did you actually read what I said or just pretend you did? My English perhaps isn't perfect, but I think you are making a case against nothing. Get a girlfriend, get a life, you pedantic psycho.
    Last edited by GdeR; 09 August 2017, 09:25 AM.

Leave a comment:

• nanonyme
    replied
    Originally posted by GdeR View Post

What exactly is misleading? 32-bit kernels are STILL maintained. My sentence refers to two different cases: now and what will probably happen in the future. You can still boot Fedora on 32-bit machines for now. No definitive decision has been made yet.
    Did you actually read the thread? They're getting built, yes, but they do not have a maintainer and they get limited amount of testing. Unless they get a volunteer soon, the 32bit kernels are basically guaranteed to be gone from Fedora in future releases

Leave a comment:

• Anvil
    replied
    a bit disappointed that Fedora wont have the New SWDB in F27
    The unified DNF database work has been deferred until Fedora 28.
    Last edited by Anvil; 09 August 2017, 12:48 AM.

Leave a comment:

• grok
    replied
    Originally posted by kenjo View Post

Yes. I still have a perfectly working eee 901 that I use when I need a simple monitoring pc. easier to have a screen and keyboard than setup a headless raspberry pi if you don't have to.

But if 32 bit support is going away its going to be a security nightmare running older distros on that
    https://www.asus.com/Laptops/Eee_PC_901/
    For instance there's Debian, dropping i486/i586. It won't run on AMD K6/2 anymore, or an actual 486 (such as one with PCI and lots of RAM), or any number of weird stuff. But it will run on i686 and so your eeePC is covered. You even have PAE, which e.g. Ubuntu or Mint might require. You have NX bit, which Windows 8 and 10 insist on. You have SSE2, which is somewhat mandatory for more and more things (like Flash, application software, codecs), leaving Pentium III out in the cold. You have SSE3 and up for good measure.

So : even on a first gen Atom, CPU instruction sets should be nothing to worry about.

Leave a comment:

• GdeR
    replied
    Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    well no duh.
    I just think it was not obvious enough that you were talking of now (also because it kinda not makes sense to state the current situation, we all know Fedora runs on 32bit, if the article is about Fedora pondering dropping 32-bit then it's kind of logical).
    It makes sense to me, because the person I was talking to needs to understand what he can do now and what will probably happen in the future with Fedora. If everything is clear for you, I'm really happy. If he's still in doubts he will hopefully ask more questions.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    What exactly is misleading? 32-bit kernels are STILL maintained.
    well no duh.
    I just think it was not obvious enough that you were talking of now (also because it kinda not makes sense to state the current situation, we all know Fedora runs on 32bit, if the article is about Fedora pondering dropping 32-bit then it's kind of logical).

Leave a comment:

• GdeR
    replied
    Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    If there is no more a 32-bit fedora kernel, then you can't boot Fedora on 32-bit systems at all, so the first sentence is misleading here.
    What exactly is misleading? 32-bit kernels are STILL maintained. My sentence refers to two different cases: now and what will probably happen in the future. You can still boot Fedora on 32-bit machines for now. No definitive decision has been made yet.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    You can't run Fedora 64-bit on 32-bit machines, but you can still run Fedora 32-bit on them, because Fedora still offers 32-bit kernels/packages/images. The article says the 32-bit kernels/images will probably be dropped in the future, so you will only be able to install 32-bit packages on 64-bit machines (when I say packages I mean all the userspace software, so the kernel is excluded).
    If there is no more a 32-bit fedora kernel, then you can't boot Fedora on 32-bit systems at all, so the first sentence is misleading here.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by kenjo View Post
    Yes. I still have a perfectly working eee 901 that I use when I need a simple monitoring pc. easier to have a screen and keyboard than setup a headless raspberry pi if you don't have to.

But if 32 bit support is going away its going to be a security nightmare running older distros on that
    https://www.asus.com/Laptops/Eee_PC_901/
    I heard that there are still quite a bit of distros that have 32bit support and won't drop it in the forseeable future, like say Puppy Linux (that is also best for crap hardware as it runs from RAM).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X