Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marc Driftmeyer
    replied
    Who cares? They can't keep current in Sid, with GNOME Desktop or KDE. We'll be heading rapidly to GNOME 3.26 and Debian took months after 3.22 to get mostly complete.

Leave a comment:

• LoneVVolf
    replied
    Combine installer and rescue functionality.

If the distro allows installing to removable devices (like memory sticks) , use that to create "Live images" .

Leave a comment:

• M@GOid
    replied
    You bet I use. For all the reasons people posted above me.

If you ask me, live images should be the default in any GNU/Linux based OS. It makes no sense to you have to install a OS just to discover some important piece of hardware is not supported.

And above all, it provides a feature you cannot find on Windows or OS-X.

Leave a comment:

• totoz
    replied
    Yes, to check hardware compatibility and avoid discovering after an upgrade that the new version is borked on my computer!

Leave a comment:

• Apopas
    replied
    Yes, but only for maintenance purpose.

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Do you still use Linux "live" distributions prior to installation?
    Rarely. But if I am not installing, then yes.

Leave a comment:

• chuckula
    replied
    It's not Debian but I regularly use a bootable Arch Linux USB stick for doing things like out of band system maintenance and it's been extremely useful in booting up ancient computers and wiping their drives prior to recycling.

One use for the bootable image is certainly as a springboard for installation, but there are plenty of uses for them even if you never intend to install the OS on the machine.

Leave a comment:

• davidbepo
    replied
    yes, i usually use the liveCD for testing the os, and to do things like reinstalling grub ...

Leave a comment:

• ElectricPrism
    replied
    THIS HOUSE HAS A WALL OF DRYROT! TEAR THE HOUSE DOWN!!!

In all seriousness though, the decision should align with the goals and direction of the Debian project.

If their goals are to focus on only Servers, NAS, and Integrated Solutions -- sure, and just send desktop people to Ubuntu.

If their goals though are to be versatile and multi-purposed, unspecialized and service all general use -- buck up and do the mans work of fixing the issues. There's no sense in cleaning your room by shoving all the dirty cloths and things into the closet and pretending there's no problem at all.

Bugs must be fixed sooner or later -- and if we never fix them then how again is Linux better than Windows or OSX? Take some pride in the quality of our craftmanship and take some pride in our work!
    Last edited by ElectricPrism; 04 August 2017, 01:11 PM.

Leave a comment:

• phoronix
    started a topic Debian Might Abandon Their Live Images

Debian Might Abandon Their Live Images

Phoronix: Debian Might Abandon Their Live Images

Debian developers are evaluating whether to continue producing "Debian Live" images or not. Should they go away, there would no longer be a Live DVD/CD/USB environment to try out the operating system short of going through the Debian Installer process...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X