Debian Might Abandon Their Live Images

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    As for the uses for a LiveCD, I use one extensively lately: on university PCs Windows (7!) is installed, and that's useless to me. They are pretty powerful and have a lot of disk space, so I run a LiveCD to do the scientific processing tasks without messing up the Windows installation. I could do that off an external HDD with a distribution installed on it, but I'm dealing with huge raster images, so space is at a premium. The LiveCD solution works well (I'm using the openSUSE Tumbleweed LiveCD), provided that the USB stick is fast enough.
    Your university doesn't protect the boot of your computers ? Oo my god the rootkits...

Comment

Originally posted by doom_Oo7 View Post

Your university doesn't protect the boot of your computers ? Oo my god the rootkits...
      They don't. Why should they? Users here are neither dumb nor malicious.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post

They don't. Why should they? Users here are neither dumb nor malicious.
        Something you should never assume when designing a system. Rather the opposite.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
          THIS HOUSE HAS A WALL OF DRYROT! TEAR THE HOUSE DOWN!!!

In all seriousness though, the decision should align with the goals and direction of the Debian project.

If their goals are to focus on only Servers, NAS, and Integrated Solutions -- sure, and just send desktop people to Ubuntu.

If their goals though are to be versatile and multi-purposed, unspecialized and service all general use -- buck up and do the mans work of fixing the issues. There's no sense in cleaning your room by shoving all the dirty cloths and things into the closet and pretending there's no problem at all.

Bugs must be fixed sooner or later -- and if we never fix them then how again is Linux better than Windows or OSX? Take some pride in the quality of our craftmanship and take some pride in our work!
          Please, don't send us to Ubuntu. That distro is crap.

Comment

Originally posted by Laser View Post
            Something you should never assume when designing a system. Rather the opposite.
            I'm glad they do, because otherwise I wouldn't be able to do what I'm doing. (Mind you, they don't give administrator privileges on said Windows 7... whereas I can use GPartEd on it if I want.)

Comment

Yeah, DebConf time... There would be whole week and a lot of Debian related live talks in Montreal 6-12 aug.

Last edited by dungeon; 05 August 2017, 07:09 PM.

Comment

I always use the LiveCD before installing a new distro, to see if it is going to work well on my computer.
                I the last 7 years, that practice has served me well, there were 5 times that I did NOT use the LiveCD first, each time, I found out the hard way that those distros had issues that meant that my computer would not work well with them.

Comment

I found the persistent mode on live debian really useful. Now I can take my usb stick with me when visiting friends to have always my stuff (data and programs) ready and usable.

Comment

I wonder whether mkosi automagically solves these issues for Debian, and if not, maybe they can file a bug report against upstream systemd and Lennart can use his superpowers lol.

Comment

This would be the most idiotic decision in the Linux history ever. Live images are tremendously useful, and not only for testing before installation, but also troubleshooting partitions and as portable systems. Instead, they should make even more straightforward to build customizable live images by the users, specially given the rich collection of packages available. I would like to build my own Debian live for scientific applications and technical writing, but I'm very discouraged by the amount of effort required, and by the way I did not find any easy to follow and self-contained guide to study on.
                      Last edited by GdeR; 06 August 2017, 06:15 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X